¡Bienvenidos a la Capital Española!

Honors Spanish Language & Culture

Cindy Dominguez

Greetings from Madrid! Yesterday marked the exciting beginning of our high school summer abroad program in the heart of Spain. We kicked off the morning with an orientation session that covered everything our students needed to know about their upcoming adventure. We focused on essential information about health and safety, provided cultural tips to help them navigate their new surroundings, and outlined what to expect from their academic experience.

To break the ice and start building connections, students were paired into groups where they got to dive into fun get-to-know you activities with their Program Leaders. It was amazing to see how quickly everyone started to bond, sharing laughs and stories. One of the most meaningful activities of the day was when I asked each student in my group to choose a word or phrase that they wanted to commit to and be intentional about during their time in Madrid. It was a moment of reflection and personal growth that set the tone for our journey ahead. For me, the phrase was "poco a poco," which means "little by little." I chose this because studying abroad is a unique experience filled with changes that require patience. In Spain, life moves a little slower, and it's important to be present and enjoy the small moments. I shared this with my group, and each student took turns explaining their chosen word or phrase. It was inspiring to hear their thoughtful reasons and aspirations for their time in Madrid.

After a morning of orientation and reflection, it was time to explore! Each program leader took their group on a metro ride to introduce them to Madrid's public transportation system. It's an adventure in itself, navigating the metro, and it provided a perfect opportunity for our students to get a feel for the city. Our group headed to the Temple of Debod, an ancient Egyptian temple relocated to Madrid. We enjoyed a picnic under the shade of trees, eating sandwiches, and sharing excitement about the weeks to come. 

As the evening approached, the excitement continued to build. Students were ready to meet their host families, the people who would be their guides and companions throughout this incredible journey. After a day of orientation and exploration, everyone was ready for a good night's rest to prepare for the first day of Spanish classes. Stay tuned for more updates from our journey abroad. ¡Hasta luego!