Bastille Day in Toulouse!

French Language & Culture

Program leader Bridgette here to give you an update on what's going on in La Ville Rose..

Le quatorze juillet is a national holiday in France that you may know of as "Bastille Day." It is la Fête nationale of France, and it commemorates the anniversary of the storming of the Bastille during the French Revolution on 14 July 1789. 

The Bastille was a fortress-prison in Paris that held political prisoners as well as arms and ammunition, and therefore was a symbol of the absolutism of the monarchy. This was a turning point of the French Revolution, and a year after on 14 July 1790, the Fête de la Fédération celebrated the unity of the French nation during the French Revolution.

In France, Bastille Day is celebrated with fireworks and a military parade, the largest of which is in Paris along the Champs-Élysées.

Toulouse held a military parade, fireworks, and a free outside concert with David Guetta and multiple other artists! You're probably saying, "wait, David Guetta, in France? That's random!" Actually- it's not! He was born and raised in Paris, so of course he'd be willing to come back to France to celebrate Bastille Day in true French style. Or maybe you're saying- "who the heck is David Guetta?" In that case- je vous aide, he is a famous DJ, songwriter, and record producer who has had his hands in many hits. I'd suggest youtube, I'm sure you'll find a hit that gets your head boppin'. 

It was said that there were over 300,000 people there for the free concert, with many more streaming into the streets and filling up the two bridges shortly before the firework show at 10:30 pm. I'm sure your kids have plenty of stories and pictures to share of their host families celebrations of this wonderful and colorful national holiday!

- PL Bridgette