Alors, on danse!

Honors French Language & Culture

Jeff Pageau

How do you define "culture"?  You might think of aspects like food, music, or style of dress.  But what about dance?  When you think of Poland, you might of the polka, in the Caribbean, you might think of salsa.  In Brittany, you can experience of a variety of traditional folk dances that characterized by often dancing in a large with linked pinky fingers.   

Today, our Honors students participated in a dance workshop where they learned 5 different styles of Breton / Celtic dances (did you know that Brittany is a celtic region with its own celtic language such like Ireland, Wales, Scottland, Cornwall, and the Isle of Man?).  During our dance workshop, the students learned a variety of dances from the various celtic nations and all  en français! 

Our students had a great time.  Everyone was all smiles and full of laughter.   Our dance instructor, Jean-Pierre, remarked what fast learners our students were!   We had a great time connecting with the culture through dance!  Perhaps our students will take what they've learned back to their school in the United States and teach their classmates what they've learned.