Worcester, Cape Town Study Tour

Multi-day tours, designed to complement your academics and enhance your cultural immersion, are included in all of CIEE’s Open Campus Block programs!

FALL '18 BLOCK I - WORCESTER

The historic town of Worcester was established mainly due to the work of one man — Lord Charles Somerset. The magistrate of Tulbagh, J.H. Fischer, and his counterpart from Graaff-Reinet suggested to Lord Charles Somerset that a new municipality be formed between their two respective towns. The suggestion was accepted, and a new municipality was created on the farm Hooivlakte.

Worcester lies in the Breëd River valley, between the rugged Dutoits and Hex River mountains, east-northeast of Cape Town. Worcester was founded in 1820 and attained municipal status in 1842. It is a prominent wine-producing center, with fruit processing and canning, brandy distilling, wool milling, and light manufacturing also comprising economic mainstays. The town has schools for the blind and the deaf. The Karoo National Botanic Garden (371 acres [150 hectares]), just north of the town, specializes in succulent plants indigenous to the Karoo region. Its 2001 population was 66,349.

FREE TIME SUGGESTIONS ​

The Barn Gallery and café is located in a 1790's barn. Good food, glass blowing and art.

Read more about the amazing study tour!