Why Study Abroad? (My Reflection of CIEE Seoul)

Micah A.

I think studying abroad is definitely an underrated thing a student should do. There are definitely people who fit study abroad stereotypes (generally richer, people who prioritize partying and bars over academics, KPop "stans" for Korea), but I don’t think my experience has been all of that. When I hear other people describing their college life, I feel extremely disappointed because my experience has been pretty dull.

Firstly, the education is way better here. Of course, one of Korea’s top universities would have better teachers, but I feel like some of my teachers at home do not remotely care about education; It’s just a funner side-gig or a stepping stone for their careers to some, such "great" education totally worth all that tuition money, so I’m fortunate to have better classes and schooling environments. I don’t party, but there’s really nothing to do at my home university UNLESS I have a car and am willing to drive somewhat far for things. In addition, I feel like now that my school is way too small; there are way too little people for me to meet. I think it reminds me how special the people I do meet are to my life. Most of the people I meet, both at home and in Korea, are honestly not worth the time or effort. It’s annoying to feel like someone’s not matching the same effort as you, so why even bother befriending them or anyone? However, after talking with countless people, there are many who are worth the effort, so I feel glad to at least know what a “true” college experience has been. I’m also glad to have experienced true freedom in Korea. At home or the U.S., you generally cannot experience life without driving unless you live in an “urban” area for American standards. I cannot drive, and it is incredibly restrictive to your entire life. I can’t do most of the things I like, visit places, or meet with friends/family; And it’s just more frustrating that I really want and NEED to drive, but I really feel that I can’t when I experience extremely more stress than other people doing it. Without being in Korea, I wouldn’t have been rock climbing as much, visited some cool places, or probably even be with my current girlfriend. I’d instantly move back to Korea if I could because life in America is very known to be completely “behind” other modern countries (poor infrastructure, social services, gun control, etc); Our problems couldn’t be solved just by signing a law. It’d be undoing the past almost 100 years of lazy urbanization. It's not like Korea or other countries don’t have their problems, but it’s truly disheartening to think that how I’ve experienced life is what many other people feel like is the peak of living (unless you’re richer too. Then America or just any wealthier nation is one of the best places to be). 

I’m thankful to have had this experience with CIEE and for all the help they do with making events and keeping us informed/safe. Studying abroad requires a special kind of person who’s willing to just about “restart” their life for a little bit, but it’s well worth it. Everyone’s looking for something while abroad, and I feel like I found part of mine. I wish I interacted with local Koreans, but it's a little hard without Korean :'). I think Korea does not truly feel like a home for me because of the general language barrier and because I don’t have my own housing, but it’s showed me a little bit of the life Americans always glorify about college.