Tainan Adventure: Crafting Sword Lions and Cultural Insights

Summer Accelerated Chinese Language

CIEE Taipei

(By Simone Kao, Student Life Coordinator)

During the Tainan trip organized for the Summer Accelerated Chinese Language program, we explored Tainan's unique culture and history through various activities. We began by sampling traditional foods and savoring local delicacies at vibrant night markets. The adventure continued with visits to places where we gained insights into Taiwan's rich history. Additionally, students explored the cultural significance of lions and took part in a DIY activity to craft their own Sword Lions. 

The "Sword Lion 劍獅" is a unique protective symbol in Anping. Due to its seaside location and crowded living conditions, various feng shui (風水) taboos emerged. To counteract these superstitions, every household in the area had Sword Lion designs carved on their doors since the Ming Zheng period. There are various theories about the origins of the Sword Lion (劍獅). First, it was brought to Taiwan by Mainland Chinese immigrants, who introduced the tradition of lion dances believed to ward off evil spirits and attract good fortune. Second, it is linked to Zheng Chenggong, a 17th-century Ming loyalist who expelled the Dutch from Taiwan. The lion symbol was featured on the shields of his troops to make them look more powerful. Lastly, during the Qing Dynasty, the naval forces in Anping used shields with lion engravings. Soldiers displayed these shields and swords at their homes to deter thieves. Over time, this practice evolved locally, combining the sword and lion into the Sword Lion.

The staff are introducing the history of Sword Lion.

We visited Anping to learn more about Sword Lion and even paint our own ones for us to take home. When we arrived, we were greeted with palettes of vibrant colors and brushes laid out on the tables. The staff gave us a brief introduction to the history of the Sword Lion and explained the painting process. Each color has its own meaning: red and purple represent "greatly popular and successful," often used to describe outstanding achievements. Yellow symbolizes "wealth." We were encouraged to express our personal wishes and aspirations through our choice of colors, resulting in unique and meaningful Sword Lions. 

Beautiful colors are provided for us.

Beautiful colors are provided for us.

We concentrate on painting our Sword Lions.

We thoroughly enjoyed the process of painting our Sword Lions. It was fascinating to see the variety of designs and colors each person chose, making every Sword Lion unique. As we painted, we had fun chatting and sharing our creative ideas, turning the activity into a lively and enjoyable experience. This hands-on activity not only allowed us to explore local traditions but also provided a chance to bond and have fun while creating memorable keepsakes to take home.

finished painting

We finished painting our Sword Lions.

winners

They are winners of Sword Lion Painting.

As a bonus for this activity, we selected the top students with the most beautiful Sword Lions and awarded them prizes. The rewards included traditional Taiwanese snacks and souvenirs, adding an extra layer of enjoyment to the experience. This made the experience even more memorable for everyone.