Study Abroad New Zealand: The Ultimate Guide

Known for its rich Māori culture, majestic mountains, pristine beaches, and top-ranked universities, New Zealand study abroad is a life-changing, once-in-a-lifetime experience. From its unparalleled natural beauty to its reputation of academic excellence, you’re in for an incredible journey when you take your studies to New Zealand. 

Let’s dive into our ultimate guide to a New Zealand study abroad trip! 

Is New Zealand a Good Place to Study Abroad? 

When you study abroad in New Zealand, you’re in for the experience of a lifetime. No, really! The country boasts top-tier universities, diverse academic programs, well-preserved natural beauty, and a welcoming, multi-cultural nation. Students who choose to live and learn in New Zealand will be met with robust support services, friendly locals, an inclusive society, and access to cutting-edge facilities, making it easy to adapt, study, explore, and thrive. 

From snow-capped mountains to lush forests to picturesque lakes to diverse beaches, your time in New Zealand is sure to be an enriching, memorable adventure. 

new zealand boat port

Fast Facts about New Zealand 

• Population: 5.2 million 
  • Climate: New Zealand largely has a temperate climate, with warm subtropical temperatures in the far north, cool temperate temperatures in the far south, and severe alpine conditions in the mountains 
  • Airport: Auckland Airport (AKL) 
  • Language: New Zealand has three official languages – Māori, English, and New Zealand Sign Language; but Samoan, Mandarin, and Hindi are also widely spoken 
  • Currency: New Zealand Dollar (NZD)  
  • Local Attraction: Milford Sound, a landmark fiord, is among the country’s most famous attractions, known for its staggering coastal scenery, dramatic peaks, and dark blue water 

Studying Abroad in Australia vs. New Zealand 

If you’re determined to find a study abroad program in the Oceania region, you’re likely wondering which location is a better fit for you: Australia or New Zealand. Considering Australia vs. New Zealand study abroad is a big decision! For starters, both countries are world-renowned for their natural beauty, with sweeping vistas around every corner. Secondly, each country is home to top-ranked universities, making them both premier destinations for academically rigorous programs. Finally, both countries boast warm, welcoming, and inclusive cultures, making them ideal places to be YOU abroad. 

Truthfully, you can’t go wrong either way. However, consider how different the experiences in each country will be. New Zealand is the right fit for students looking for a more intimate, nature-centric experience with smaller universities and out-of-this-world landscapes. In contrast, Australia features larger, more diverse academic institutions in large cities – like Sydney and Melbourne – that provide a more urban lifestyle.  

At the end of the day, both Australia and New Zealand offer distinct experiences. You’ll be on your way to having a life-changing journey no matter where you decide to go! 

Read More: Australia vs. New Zealand Study Abroad: Which is Better for You? 

Best Place to Study Abroad in New Zealand 

When you study abroad in New Zealand with CIEE, you’ll call Auckland home, one of the country’s major cities and a multi-cultural hub of food, music, art, and culture. As the largest city in New Zealand, this exciting place has so much to offer: Numerous museums and galleries to visit; theaters showcasing the traditional Māori culture and contemporary arts; iconic landmarks, like Sky Tower, that will thrill and entertain you; and so much more! 

From 80+ outstandingly beautiful beaches to lush rainforest-covered ranges to a magnificent city skyline, you’ll quickly come to agree that Auckland is the best place to study abroad in New Zealand. Don’t believe us? Find out for yourself on one of our study abroad or global internship programs! 

new zealand island sunset

Read More: What are International Internships? Everything You Need to Know 

How to Study Abroad in New Zealand 

Sold on a New Zealand study abroad program with CIEE? Awesome! Make studying abroad in New Zealand a reality by taking the following five simple steps! 

• Step 1: Select a New Zealand study abroad program that aligns with your personal, academic, and professional goals 
  • Step 2: Explore CIEE funding options, like scholarships, grants, and special discounts, and be sure to complete the Scholarships & Grants portion of the CIEE application to see what you might qualify for 
  • Step 3: Start and complete your CIEE application  
  • Step 4: Connect with your school’s study abroad office and see if they have any internal application requirements 
  • Step 5: Get packing and GO 

Read More: How to Study Abroad: 5 Steps to Apply with CIEE 

New Zealand is Calling 

Are you ready for the journey of a lifetime? Your New Zealand study abroad adventure awaits! 

EXPLORE NEW ZEALAND STUDY ABROAD