Study Abroad in Latin America: The Ultimate Guide

Deciding where to study abroad can be as thrilling as it is daunting, especially with so many amazing Latin America study abroad programs and countries to choose from. We get it, which is why we’ve crafted the ultimate guide to Latin America study abroad. 

Sit back as we share all the essential information you need before choosing your perfect Latin America study abroad destination. 

What countries are in Latin America? 

Latin America is a treasure trove of adventure and discovery, and CIEE offers you the chance to dive into it all with programs in five incredible countries

CIEE has all our Latin America bases covered! If the Carribean is calling your name, Santiago de los Caballeros in the Dominican Republic offers a lively atmosphere and rich traditions, ideal for those looking to make a real impact in community and public health. Meanwhile, North America’s Costa Rica and Mexico are two fantastic choices. In Monteverde, you’ll be surrounded by vibrant rainforests and rich biodiversity, perfect for those interested in biology and sustainability studies. On the other hand, the Yucatán Peninsula, with its mix of ancient history and modern excitement, is perfect for diving into subjects like anthropology and natural sciences

South America study abroad has its own unique appeal with Argentina and Chile. Buenos Aires, known as the “Paris of South America” is a great match for students looking to explore fields such as political science and history. Over in Santiago, you’ll experience a dynamic city life with a backdrop of the Andes, wonderful for exploring subjects like business

And of course, if you’re eager to learn Spanish abroad, then all of our Latin American destinations are fantastic options for you! 

yucatan study abroad pyramids

Read More: Santiago vs. Buenos Aires: Which is Better? 

What is the safest Spanish speaking country to study abroad? 

When considering the safest Spanish-speaking countries to study abroad, it's important to remember that while no place can guarantee absolute safety, CIEE is dedicated to providing a secure environment for students. Our comprehensive approach to health and safety ensures that whether you choose to study in Mexico, Costa Rica, Argentina, Chile, or the Dominican Republic, you'll have the support you need. Each of our locations benefits from robust safety measures, including local staff who are well-versed in navigating any challenges that might arise. From 24/7 emergency assistance to thorough risk assessments, we’re here to support you every step of the way. 

To further enhance your safety, it’s a good idea to follow some general precautions. Always travel with a buddy, particularly when exploring new areas. Keep a close eye on your belongings, and be vigilant about pickpockets, especially in crowded places. Register with local consulates or embassies and stay informed about any local advisories. By staying aware and following these tips, you can focus on enjoying your study abroad experience with confidence! 

Is Latin America a good place to study abroad? 

You might be asking yourself “why study in Latin America?” Well, Latin America is more than just a destination – it's a mosaic of cultures, stunning landscapes, and unforgettable experiences. From the bustling energy of its cities to the breathtaking beauty of its natural wonders, studying in Latin America provides a rich, immersive experience that goes far beyond the traditional classroom setting. The region’s unique blend of history, language, and local traditions creates an environment ripe for academic and personal growth. 

In addition to its cultural and scenic allure, Latin America offers diverse academic opportunities that cater to a wide range of interests. Whether you’re diving into research, exploring innovative projects, or engaging with local communities, the hands-on experiences you gain will complement your studies and broaden your global perspective. Latin America boasts friendly communities and endless opportunities for exploration, making it an ideal spot for those eager to enrich their education and embark on an incredible adventure. 

monteverde geology students abroad

Read More: Costa Rica vs. Argentina: Which is Better for Study Abroad? 

How much does it cost to study abroad in Latin America? 

The cost to study in Latin America can fit a variety of budgets, offering something for everyone from the budget-conscious to those seeking a more comprehensive experience. For a wallet-friendly option, our January programs, such as January in Monteverde, are an excellent choice, with costs starting at $3,850. If you’re considering a longer stay, programs can range from $5,500 to $20,000, depending on the country and program. For example, one of our more expensive options is the Sustainability + the Environment program in Monteverde which costs $19,950.  

Regardless of your budget, each program provides a rich blend of educational and cultural experiences, ensuring that your time abroad will be both enriching and exciting! 

Study Abroad Scholarships for Latin America 

Navigating the costs of studying abroad can be intimidating, but CIEE offers a range of scholarships and grants to help make your Latin American adventure more affordable. In fact, CIEE awards more than 13 million in study abroad scholarships & grants annually across three categories: Need-based, merit-based, and other areas of funding.  

Read More: Study Abroad Scholarships: Everything You Need to Know 

For those eager to dive into STEM fields, our STEM Scholarship provides up to $500 deducted from program fees to help you excel in science and technology programs. Our Summer Session Discount offers a 20% discount for students enrolling in more than one four-week summer session. Additionally, you might be eligible for the Gilman Go Global Scholarship, which supports U.S. students with financial need to study abroad, and the GAIN Travel Grant, which helps with travel costs to your program location. These scholarships and grants are available for most of our programs across Latin America, making it easier for you to focus on soaking up the incredible experiences and opportunities that await. 

santiago chile study abroad student windy rooftop

Take Your Studies to Latin America 

Embarking on a study abroad journey in Latin America is more than just an academic experience; it’s a chance to immerse yourself in some of the most dynamic cultures, breathtaking landscapes, and enriching experiences the world has to offer. Whether you're drawn to the vibrant street life of Buenos Aires, the stunning biodiversity of Monteverde, or just want to study Spanish in Latin America, there’s a place and program that fits your academic goals and personal interests. 

With a variety of affordable options and generous scholarships to help fund your adventure, there’s no better time to take the plunge. So, start exploring, get excited, and get ready to make unforgettable memories in Latin America. The adventure of a lifetime is just around the corner! 

EXPLORE LATIN AMERICA