Santiago vs. Buenos Aires: Which is Better?

When it comes to choosing a study abroad destination in Latin America, two cities often come to the forefront: Santiago, Chile study abroad, and Buenos Aires, Argentina study abroad. Both are vibrant capitals with rich cultural heritages, stunning landscapes, and unique experiences to offer. But which city is the right fit for you?  

Let’s dive into a detailed comparison to help you decide. 

Quick Overview: Santiago, Chile vs. Buenos Aires, Argentina 

Choosing between Buenos Aires vs. Santiago can be difficult, as both Latin American cities guarantee adventure. While there’s no wrong choice between the two, let’s explore the similarities they share compared to their differences. 

Santiago, Chile 

Nestled in a valley surrounded by the Andes Mountains, Santiago is a city that blends modernity with tradition, boasts breathtaking views, and offers a dynamic urban life. The city is known for its economic stability, clean streets, and well-organized public transport system, all massive pros when hunting for the right study abroad location. Santiago is also a gateway to adventure, with the Pacific Ocean to the west and the Andes to the east. In fact, this city is one of the few places you can ski and surf in the same day! 

Need we say more about what makes Santiago study abroad a fantastic idea? 

Read More: Eat, Drink, Explore: Santiago 

Buenos Aires, Argentina 

Affectionately nicknamed “the Paris of South America," Buenos Aires is a bustling city famed for its European-style architecture and vibrant cultural scene. Renowned for its passionate tango music, lively nightlife, and world-class cuisine, Buenos Aires combines a rich historical heritage with a cosmopolitan vibe that captivates visitors almost immediately. 

It's no wonder the city’s European charm and Latin flair puts Buenos Aires study abroad on so many students’ radars! 

Read More: Eat, Drink, Explore: Buenos Aires 

Fast Facts About Santiago 

Let’s look at some fast facts about Santiago: 

• Population: Nearly seven million, making it the largest city in Chile 
  • Climate: The city experiences a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and mild, wet winters; average summer temperatures range from 20°C to 30°C (68°F to 86°F), while winter temperatures hover around 10°C (50°F) 
  • Location: Situated in central Chile, Santiago lies in a valley surrounded by the Andes Mountains to the east and the Chilean Coastal Range to the west 
  • Currency: The official currency of Chile is the Chilean Peso (CLP) 
  • Language: Spanish is the official language, but English is widely spoken, especially in tourist areas and academic institutions 
  • Airport: Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport (SCL) is the main gateway to Santiago and one of the busiest airports in South America 
  • Local Attraction: Cerro San Cristóbal, a hill situated in the center of the city offering panoramic views 
  • Bonus Fact: Santiago is one of the top cities in Latin America for quality of life and safety, making it a comfortable destination for international students 

chile study abroad students beach trip

5 Best Santiago Study Abroad Programs 

Taking your studies to the “Country of Poets” is an excellent idea! From gaining real-world work experience on an international internship to fast-forwarding your Spanish skills on a language immersion program, there are plenty of ways to align Santiago study abroad with your academic goals and personal interests. 

Let’s take a look at five of our top study abroad programs in Santiago! 

Program #1: Liberal Arts 

Designed for students eager to polish or advance their Spanish language skills, the Liberal Arts program will have you building an understanding of Chilean history while immersing yourself in the culture of Santiago.  

• Program Length: 18 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Credit: 15-18 semester hours/22.5-27 quarter hours 
  • Featured Course: Intercultural Communication and Leadership 
  • Featured Excursion: Take a wine tasting workshop, learning and sampling the local wines, like Carménère 

Program #2: Open Campus Block 

Enjoy world-class cuisine, visit exotic suburban areas, and study prominent neoclassical architecture for six, 12, or up to 18 weeks on the Santiago Open Campus Block program. This fully customizable program invites you to select one, two, or three blocks around to build the study abroad program that best suits you! 

• Program Length: Six, 12, or 18 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Credit: 6-7 per block semester hours/9-10.5 per block quarter hours 
  • Featured Course: New Immigration and Traditional Ethnic Groups in Chile 
  • Featured Excursion: Join your hosts at weekend barbeques and at Chilean tea times called “la once” with relatives and family-friends 

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to CIEE Open Campus Block 

Program #3: Summer Global Internship 

Spend your summer gaining real-world work experience in Santiago, where you’ll immerse yourself in a new culture, develop new professional skills, and expand your intercultural competence. Whether you intern at a local Chilean company, an NGO, a startup, or a small or medium international company, you’ll expand your global network with CIEE! 

• Program Length: 8 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Credit: 6 semester hours/9 quarter hours 
  • Featured Course: Academic Internship in the Global Workplace 
  • Featured Excursion: Visit green vineyards and learn about Chile’s wine exportation industry and why it is one of the great economic engines of the country 

santiago students abroad

Program #4: Semester in Santiago 

Designed for students from all academic backgrounds, this program invites you to spend a full semester immersing yourself in the Spanish language, gaining cultural exposure, and fast-forwarding your degree. From engineering to astrophysics to the environment, there are practically unlimited ways to earn credits for graduation while enjoying all Santiago has to offer. 

• Program Length: 18 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Credit: 12-18 semester hours/18-27 quarter hours 
  • Featured Course: Latin American Politics and World Affairs 
  • Featured Excursion: Visit Pomaire, a picturesque Chilean village known for its traditional pottery and rustic charm 

Program #5: Summer in Santiago 

Spend six weeks of your summer (or up to 12) studying abroad on this immersive short-term program! While taking courses in business, economics, literature, anthropology, and more, you’ll have every opportunity to practice your Spanish language skills and explore Santiago’s many cultural landmarks.  

• Program Length: 4 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Economics of Wine 
  • Featured Excursion: Visit a natural reservation, like Cajón del Maipo (located merely 45 minutes from Santiago) and consider its contrasts with urban life 

Read More: Short-Term Study Abroad: Everything You Need to Know 

Fast Facts About Buenos Aires 

Now that you know the basics about Santiago, let’s introduce you to Buenos Aires: 

• Population: Buenos Aires has a population of about 15 million people, making it one of the largest cities in the Southern Hemisphere 
  • Climate: The city experiences a humid subtropical climate with hot, humid summers and mild winters; average summer temperatures range from 25°C to 30°C (77°F to 86°F), while winter temperatures range from 10°C to 15°C (50°F to 59°F) 
  • Location: Located on the eastern shore of the Rio de la Plata, Buenos Aires is situated in the northeastern part of Argentina 
  • Currency: The official currency of Argentina is the Argentine Peso (ARS) 
  • Language: Spanish is the official language, but many residents also speak English and Italian 
  • Airport: Ministro Pistarini International Airport (EZE), also known as Ezeiza, is the primary international gateway to Buenos Aires 
  • Local Attraction: La Boca, a colorful neighborhood famous for its vibrant street art and the Caminito walkway 
  • Bonus Fact: Buenos Aires is a city that never sleeps; its nightlife is legendary, with tango shows, lively bars, and clubs open until the early morning hours 

buenos aires intensive spanish language

5 Best Buenos Aires Study Abroad Programs 

Since you’re well versed in some of our top Santiago study abroad options, let’s unpack the Buenos Aires study abroad programs our students favor year after year. From advancing your Spanish skills on an intensive language program to gaining practical work experience on a summer international internship, you’ll quickly discover just how wonderful a place Argentina is to take live, learn, and thrive. 

Let’s explore five of our best study abroad programs in Buenos Aires! 

Program #1: Liberal Arts 

Take your communication, history, language, journalism, religion, philosophy, and media studies to the next level while immersing yourself in this exciting Liberal Arts program. Abroad, you’ll study at world-recognized universities, live with an Argentine host family, and enjoy CIEE-organized cultural excursions to round out your experience.  

• Program Length: 20 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Multiculturalism and Ethnicity in Argentina 
  • Featured Excursion: Relax Buenos Aires-style at a festival, watching culture in motion with musicals, dance, and theatre performances 

Program #2: Summer Global Internship  

Spend eight weeks of your summer expanding your global network, gaining transferable hard and soft skills, and earning real-world work experience in an Argentine company. From a local business to an NGO, or startup, you’ll have your share of international internship opportunities to choose from to boost your resume with global experience. 

• Program Length: 8 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Featured Excursion: Visit El Ateneo, a renowned bookstore housed in a former theater 

Read More: What are International Internships? Everything You Need to Know 

Program #3: Semester in Buenos Aires 

Designed for students from all academic backgrounds, this program invites you to spend a full semester exploring Latin America, developing your Spanish language skills, and earning credits toward your degree. From studying Latin American politics to Argentine history, you’ll tackle new academic challenges, learn alongside local students, and forge new friendships with international peers. 

• Program Length: 18 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Ecology, Sustainability and Cultural Production in Latin America 
  • Featured Excursion: Experience a day in the Argentine countryside at a local estancia, immersing yourself in the rich traditions and rural heritage of Argentina 

buenos aires students chipa workshop

Program #4: Summer Intensive Spanish Language 

Spend your summer becoming fluent in Spanish! This intensive language program invites you to learn, practice, and advance your Spanish skills, interact with locals, learn more about Argentina’s history and culture, and explore all Buenos Aires has to offer.  

• Program Length: 8 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Credit: 10 semester hours/15 quarter hours 
  • Featured Course: Beginning Spanish Language II: Oral Communication and Culture 
  • Featured Excursion: Get to know the different Argentine neighborhoods, discovering their history, peculiarities, and enjoying their cuisine 

Program #5: Summer Community Public Health 

If you’re interested in learning about public health in Latin America and have a flair for the Spanish language, then this is the program for you! Spend your summer advancing your biology, medicine, nursing, or related degree by gaining an international perspective and studying the ins and outs of public health systems in a developing country. 

• Program Length: 8 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Pre-Professional Healthcare Issues 
  • Featured Excursion: Visit Colonia in Uruguay, one of the country’s oldest towns known for its cobbled historic quarter and colonial Portuguese and Spanish buildings 

Buenos Aires vs. Santiago Study Abroad 

Ultimately, choosing between Santiago vs. Buenos Aires study abroad depends on what you’re looking for in your international experience. On the one hand, Santiago offers a serene environment with a focus on nature and a high quality of life, ideal for students seeking a stable and safe urban setting. Buenos Aires, on the other hand, is perfect for those who crave a vibrant cultural scene, dynamic nightlife, and a city with a European flair.  

At the end of the day, both cities offer top-notch academic programs and a plethora of activities to enrich your time abroad. So, what’ll it be? Santiago study abroad? Buenos Aires study abroad? The choice is yours! 

EXPLORE PROGRAMS