Spending the day at Lion Park!

Community Public Health

CIEE Gaborone

The Lion Park resort

During each semester, CIEE Gaborone makes it a point to take both student volunteers and CIEE students on a few local outings to give CIEE students a break from their hectic schedules. On the 1st of April, everyone was taken to Lion Park . Lion Park is an amusement park which is located about 20 minutes out of the main city, Gaborone. The location boasts one of the biggest rollercoaster rides in Botswana, several smaller amusement rides, a water park, a restaurant and as its name suggests – lions in captivity! Both CIEE students and student volunteers were filled with excitement and temporary relief from “test week” at the University of Botswana.

After the 25 minute trip, we had finally arrived at our destination.  The location spoiled us with choice! The P75.00 per person cover charge, which was paid for by CIEE, allowed us entry into the resort, and gave us access to the park’s swimming facilities, amusement rides and of course lion viewing. Once we received our tags at the entrance, we were now allowed to partake in any of these activities as many times as we liked. Everyone quickly voiced out which activity they were itching to do first then split into groups who shared the same sentiments regarding the order in which they would tackle these activities. Of course, some chose to lay on the lawn and soak up the sunny weather with a drink in hand. After all, this was right in the middle of test week and everyone has their own way of unwinding and de-stressing.

It was a successful day of swimming, eating, getting multiple adrenaline rushes and bonding with the CIEE family! Of course, several pictures were taken throughout this outing.