Spain vs. Italy Travel: Which is Better for You?

Business + Culture

If you’re eager to take your studies to the Mediterranean, two iconic European countries likely come to mind: Spain vs. Italy. Spain and Italy are two of Europe's most popular travel destinations, each offering a unique blend of rich history, vibrant culture, delicious cuisine, and serene natural beauty. Whether you’re planning to study abroad for a short-term summer session, a quick winter break, or a full semester or quarter abroad, Spain study abroad and Italy study abroad are equally rewarding.  

In this guide, we’ll explore the highlights of each country to help you decide which location better aligns with your academic goals, personal interests, budget, and timeframe.  

Read More: Should I Study Abroad in Spain or Italy? 

Quick Overview: Spain vs. Italy Travel Abroad 

To help guide you in the Italy vs. Spain study abroad debate, let's review their similarities and the distinct characteristics that set them apart.  

Here's a brief comparison to help you get started: 

Spain 

Spain is a country of diverse landscapes, from sun-soaked beaches to rugged mountains. It's known for its vibrant culture, lively festivals, and laid-back lifestyle. Spanish cities like Barcelona, Madrid, and Seville offer a mix of modern amenities and historic charm, while coastal islands like Mallorca are perfect for beach lovers.  

The country's rich history is evident in its architecture, from its Moorish palaces to Gothic cathedrals, with iconic landmarks like the Alhambra, Sagrada Família, and Park Güell. Flamenco music and dance are integral parts of Spanish culture, providing a rhythmic backdrop to the country's dynamic nightlife. For nature lovers, Spain boasts beautiful landscapes, including the Pyrenees mountains and the scenic countryside of Andalusia. 

palma de mallorca abroad cave site

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad in Spain 

Italy 

Italy is a treasure trove of art, history, and natural beauty. From the ancient ruins of Rome to the Renaissance masterpieces of Florence, Italy is a paradise for history and art enthusiasts. The country's diverse regions offer everything from the scenic northern lake region near Milan to the picturesque Tuscan countryside. Italy is also world-renowned for its cuisine, with each region boasting its own specialties. The country's passion for food, fashion, and the arts is palpable in every corner. 

Italy's rich cultural heritage doesn’t stop there; it is evident in its architecture, with landmarks such as the Colosseum, Leaning Tower of Pisa, and Florence's Duomo. Art enthusiasts will find joy in the works of Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and Botticelli. Italy also offers stunning coastal areas like the Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre, perfect for relaxation and scenic beauty. 

rome day trip study abroad ciee

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad in Italy 

Fast Facts About Spain Study Abroad 

Now that you know a bit more about Spain vs. Italy, take a look at some quick facts about the country of Spain: 

• Population: Approximately 47 million  
  • Climate: Overall, a Mediterranean climate with hot summers and mild winters, though the interior regions can experience more extreme temperatures 
  • Location: Situated on the Iberian Peninsula in southwestern Europe, bordered by Portugal to the west and France to the northeast 
  • Currency: Euro (€) 
  • Language: Spanish (Castilian); regional languages include Catalan, Galician, and Basque 
  • Airport: Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD) and Barcelona-El Prat Airport (BCN) are the main international gateways 
  • Local Attractions: Sagrada Família (Barcelona), Prado Museum (Madrid), The Cathedral of Santa Maria of Palma (Mallorca), Cervantes Birthplace Museum (Alcalá de Henares), Real Alcázar (Seville), and Castell de Santa Bàrbara (Alicante) 
  • Bonus Fact: Spain is home to the world’s oldest restaurant, Sobrino de Botín, which has been serving delicious meals since 1725 

Spain Travel Tips 

If you decide to study abroad in Spain, keep the following practical travel tips in mind: 

1. Embrace the local schedule: Lunch is typically eaten around 2-3 p.m., and dinner starts after 9 p.m. 
  2. Use public transportation: Spain has an excellent network of trains and buses for intercity travel. 
  3. Participate in tapas culture: Embrace the tapas culture by sampling a variety of small dishes at different bars and restaurants. It’s a social and culinary experience unique to Spain. 
  4. Mind siesta time: Be aware of the traditional siesta, a mid-afternoon break when many shops and businesses close for a few hours. Plan your activities around this schedule. 
  5. Attend festivals: Spain is famous for its festivals, such as La Tomatina, Running of the Bulls, and Las Fallas. Check the festival calendar and try to experience one during your visit. 

Spain Travel Blog

If you’re looking for even more information on studying abroad in Spain, check out our Spain travel blog – we cover it all from the best apps to download on your phone to packing list essentials, and of course, key reasons why studying abroad in Spain might be the perfect choice for you! 

palma de mallorca students abroad

Top 3 Spain Study Abroad Programs 

Sold on studying abroad in Spain? Excellent! Consider three of CIEE Study Abroad’s top programs in this incredible country. And keep in mind, we offer 40+ programs in six cities around Spain, giving you more ways to get on your way! 

Featured Program #1: Barcelona Business + Culture 

Designed for business students, this program invites you to spend a full semester studying startup ecosystems, innovation, leadership, and entrepreneurship in the cultural epicenter of Spain!  

• Program Length: 14 weeks 
  • Credit: 14-18 semester hours/21-25.5 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Economics of Spain 
  • Featured Excursion: See a flamenco show 

Featured Program #2: Seville Liberal Arts 

Take your advanced Spanish language skills to the next level while studying abroad at CIEE Seville and CIEE’s esteemed partner institutions, Universidad de Sevilla and Universidad Pablo de Olavide, all while immersing yourself in the heart of Seville. 

• Program Length: 18 weeks 
  • Credit: 15-18 semester hours/22.5-27 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Three Cultures in Spain: Jews, Christians, and Muslims 
  • Featured Excursion: Participate in a magical overnight excursion to the beautiful city of Granada 

barcelona students lunch

Featured Program #3: Madrid Open Campus 

Spend one, two, or up to three six-week blocks in Madrid on CIEE’s Open Campus Block program. This highly flexible program model gives students the chance to design their own fully customizable study abroad journeys. Stay in Madrid the whole time or travel to one or two other Open Campus Block cities! 

• Program Length: Six to 18 weeks 
  • Credit: 6-7 per block semester hours/9-10.5 per block quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: World Heritage Sites and the Politics of Identity in Spain 
  • Featured Excursion: Visit the world heritage site of El Escorial’s Royal Palace, Kings’ Pantheon, and Monastery built under the reign of King Philip II of Spain in the 1500s 

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to CIEE Open Campus Block 

Fast Facts About Italy Study Abroad 

Now that you know all about Spain, let’s compare Italy vs. Spain population, Italy vs. Spain culture, and more: 

• Population: Approximately 60 million 
  • Climate: Italy has a varied climate, with Mediterranean conditions along the coast, hot summers and cold winters in the northern regions, and mild, wet winters and hot, dry summers in the south 
  • Location: Located in southern Europe, Italy is a peninsula extending into the Mediterranean Sea, bordered by France, Switzerland, Austria, and Slovenia 
  • Currency: Euro (€) 
  • Language: Italian 
  • Airport: Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport (FCO) in Rome and Malpensa Airport (MXP) in Milan are the primary international airports 
  • Local Attractions: Colosseum (Rome), Uffizi Gallery (Florence), and Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II (Milan) 
  • Bonus Fact: Italy has more UNESCO World Heritage sites than any other country in the world, with more than 50 cultural and natural sites 

Italy Travel Tips 

If you’re leaning toward studying abroad in Italy, consider these practical travel tips: 

1. Book tickets in advance: Popular attractions like the Vatican Museums and Uffizi Gallery often have long queues. 
  2. Use public transportation: Italy has a well-developed public transportation system, including trains, buses, and trams. High-speed trains like the Frecciarossa make traveling between major cities fast and convenient. 
  3. Be aware of tourist scams: Especially in major cities, like Rome, be cautious of pickpockets and overpriced services. 
  4. Respect dress codes: When visiting religious sites, ensure your shoulders and knees are covered. 
  5. Learn basic Italian phrases: While English is widely spoken in tourist areas, locals appreciate efforts to speak their language. 

Italy Travel Blog

If you haven’t yet, check out our blogs on all things Italy. From how much it costs to study abroad in Italy to CIEE’s best Italy study abroad programs, and more, you’ll learn all about what an Italy study abroad trip entails! 

milan students abroad famous site

Top 3 Italy Study Abroad Programs 

Think studying abroad in Italy is right for you? Wonderful! Look at three of CIEE’s top study abroad programs throughout Italy. And remember, we offer 20+ incredible programs in three unique cities around the country to help you find your best match! 

Featured Program #1: Rome Open Campus Block 

Spend six, 12, or 18 weeks studying abroad in Rome on the Open Campus Block program. During this flexible and highly customizable program you’ll take courses in liberal arts, science, engineering, pre-med, and business while exploring all the Eternal City has to offer. 

• Program Length: Six to 18 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Exploring Rome, the Birthplace of the Modern Museum 
  • Featured Excursion: Visit the town of Tivoli, famous for its Renaissance gardens and fountains of Villa D’Este 

Featured Program #2: Summer in Florence 

Spend four weeks of your summer break in Florence, the gateway to Tuscany, where you’ll take courses in history, art, marketing, food culture, and more, delivered in your choice of English or Italian.  

• Program Length: 4 weeks 
  • Credit: 3-4 session semester hours/4.5-6 session quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: The Great Renaissance Artists of Florence 
  • Featured Excursion: Visit a traditional working olive grove, including an in-depth description of oil production, promotion, and distribution 

florence excursion plaza abroad

Featured Program #3: Milan Summer Global Internship 

Spend eight weeks of your summer break gaining real-world work experience in one of Italy’s primary startup ecosystems: Milan! This program offers you the opportunity to work in finance, technology, fashion, design, tourism, media, and more while gaining soft and hard skills in communication, networking, time management, conflict resolution, creative thinking, and teamwork that will be transferrable to your future career. 

• Program Length: 8 weeks 
  • Credit: 6 semester hours/9 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Academic Internship in the Global Workplace 
  • Featured Excursion: Visit the Duomo, the fifth-largest cathedral in the world and the second-largest in Italy 

Italy vs. Spain: Which Will You Choose? 

Ultimately, choosing between Spain vs. Italy for your study abroad adventure depends on your interests and preferences. On the one hand, Spain offers a vibrant culture with lively festivals, diverse landscapes, and delicious tapas. Italy, on the other hand, is a haven for art and history enthusiasts, with stunning architecture, world-renowned cuisine, and beautiful coastal areas. 

Both countries have their unique charms and plenty to offer. Whether you’re drawn to the flamenco rhythms of Spain or the Renaissance masterpieces of Italy, your journey will be filled with unforgettable experiences. So, pack your bags, brush up on your Spanish or Italian, and get ready for an adventure of a lifetime! 

SEARCH PROGRAMS