Spain vs. Costa Rica Study Abroad

Business + Culture

So, you're ready to pack your bags and embark on an unforgettable study abroad adventure, but you’re torn between the passionate rhythms of Spain and the pristine beaches of Costa Rica. We get it, Costa Rica vs. Spain is a tough call! But fear not because CIEE Study Abroad has your back in finding the ultimate location to match your vibe! Just remember: Whether you decide on Costa Rica study abroad or Spain study abroad, both countries promise an equally fulfilling experience.  

In this guide, we’ll dive deeper into the bustling energy of Spain and the natural wonders of Costa Rica, with the hopes of steering you toward the ideal destination to ignite your study abroad dreams! 

Read More: Where Should I Study Abroad: 7 Tips to Help You Decide 

Quick Overview: Spain vs. Costa Rica Study Abroad 

Let's kick things off by comparing some key aspects of Spain vs. Costa Rica: 

• Population: Spain’s population is approximately 47 million while Costa Rica’s population is approximately 5.2 million 
  • Climate: Spain’s climate is varied with hot summers and mild winters while Costa Rica’s climate is tropical 
  • Location: Spain is situated on the Iberian Peninsula in southwestern Europe and Costa Rica is in Central America 
  • Currency: Spain uses the euro (€), and Costa Rica uses the Costa Rican colón (₡) 
  • History: Costa Rica vs. Spain history varies greatly – Spain’s history was shaped by the Romans, Visigoths, and Moors, and later unified under Catholic monarchs whereas Costa Rica has a history of peaceful independence and abolished its military in 1949 
  • Language: Spanish is the official language in both countries 
  • Airport: Spain’s main airports are Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD) and Barcelona-El Prat Airport (BCN) and Costa Rica’s main airport is Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO) 
  • Local attractions: Park Güell in Barcelona, Spain and Arenal Volcano in Costa Rica 
  • Bonus fact: Spain’s official national anthem the “Marcha Real” is one of the few national anthems in the world that is entirely instrumental; Costa Rica is home to more than 5% of the world's biodiversity, despite occupying only 0.03% of the Earth's surface 
alicante city overlook abroad

Spain vs. Costa Rica Spanish Language 

When it comes to how the Spanish language is spoken in Spain vs. Costa Rica, you’ll notice some distinct differences. 

In Spain, you’ll immerse yourself in the classic Castilian Spanish, renowned for its precise pronunciation and the unique "th" sound for the letter "c" before "e" or "i" (think “Barthelona” instead of “Barcelona”). This linguistic tradition is perfect for refining your academic Spanish skills and delving into the rich literary heritage that spans centuries, featuring luminaries like Miguel de Cervantes. Whether you’re conversing in the bustling streets of Madrid, lounging by the beach in Barcelona, or exploring the historic architecture of Seville, Spain offers an ideal environment to deepen your understanding of the language and culture. 

Costa Rica, on the other hand, provides a more relaxed and approachable version of Spanish. Costa Rican Spanish is celebrated for its clarity and slower pace, which is particularly beneficial for language learners. In addition to mastering the fundamentals, you’ll also pick up on the distinct local slang that peppers everyday conversation. Phrases like “tuanis” (meaning cool or awesome) and the ubiquitous “pura vida” (pure life) embody the country’s laid-back and friendly atmosphere. Costa Rica offers a welcoming setting to hone your Spanish skills while experiencing its lively culture firsthand. 

Read More: The 6 Best Places to Learn Spanish Abroad 

Spain vs. Costa Rica Cultural Differences 

Spain’s culture is a dynamic fusion of music, dance, and rich traditions that ignite the senses. From the soul-stirring rhythms of flamenco and the adrenaline-pumping excitement of bullfights to the exhilarating chaos of La Tomatina and San Fermín festivals, Spain pulsates with energy. Spaniards are renowned for their convivial nature, reveling in lengthy lunches, animated conversations, and vibrant nightlife that extends well into the early hours. Get ready for dinners at 10 p.m. and dancing till dawn – it's a lifestyle that celebrates every moment. 

In contrast, Costa Rican culture exudes a laid-back vibe intertwined with a deep connection to nature. Here, life revolves around community and family bonds, with an emphasis on savoring the present. Study breaks might find you playing beach volleyball, hiking lush rainforests teeming with wildlife, or joining lively local fiestas. Known affectionately as "Ticos," Costa Ricans warmly embrace visitors, fostering a sense of belonging that makes adapting to their easygoing way of life a joy. 

costa rica study abroad student outside

Is Spain a good study abroad option? 

Spain offers an irresistible blend of academic excellence and cultural immersion that's perfect for adventurous students. Imagine attending classes at prestigious universities with centuries of history, where learning extends beyond the lecture halls to the vibrant streets and energetic plazas just waiting to be explored. 

Beyond academics, Spain offers a lifestyle where every day feels like a fiesta. Cultural experiences are woven into everyday life, from late-night flamenco shows to indulging in mouthwatering tapas. Embrace the chance to learn a new language, make lifelong friends, and expand your worldview – all against the backdrop of Spain's irresistible charm and boundless spirit. 

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to Study Abroad in Spain 

Top 3 Spain Study Abroad Programs 

Ready to dive into an exciting study abroad experience in Spain? Fantastic! Check out the top three CIEE Study Abroad programs in this amazing country. 

Featured Program #1: Barcelona Business + Culture 

Designed for students with a background in business, this program invites you to spend a full semester studying startup ecosystems, innovation, leadership, and entrepreneurship in the cultural epicenter of Spain!  

• Program Length: 14 weeks 
  • Credit: 14-18 semester hours/21-25.5 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Economics of Wine 
  • Featured Excursion: Day trip to Montserrat 

Featured Program #2: Seville Liberal Arts 

Elevate your Spanish language skills while studying abroad at CIEE Seville and CIEE’s esteemed partner institutions, Universidad de Sevilla and Universidad Pablo de Olavide, all while immersing yourself in the heart of Seville. 

• Program Length: 18 weeks 
  • Credit: 15-18 semester hours/22.5-27 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: The Anthropology of Sports in Spain 
  • Featured Excursion: Day trip or overnight excursions to Córdoba, Cádiz, Málaga, Jerez de la Frontera, Ronda, Aracena, or another exciting Spanish city 
seville students abroad

Featured Program #3: Madrid Open Campus 

Spend one, two, or up to three six-week blocks in Madrid on CIEE’s Open Campus Block program. This highly flexible program model gives students the chance to design their own fully customizable study abroad journeys.  

• Program Length: Six to 18 weeks 
  • Credit: 6-7 per block semester hours/9-10.5 per block quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Global Civil Rights 
  • Featured Excursion: Visit the world heritage site of El Escorial’s Royal Palace, Kings’ Pantheon, and Monastery built under the reign of King Philip II of Spain in the 1500s 

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to CIEE Open Campus Block 

Is Costa Rica a good study abroad option? 

Costa Rica is an ideal destination for students seeking a perfect harmony of academic pursuits and thrilling outdoor adventures. The country's dedication to sustainability and rich biodiversity ensures unparalleled opportunities for hands-on learning in diverse ecosystems.  

Costa Rica offers a lifestyle where every day feels like an eco-friendly escapade. Picture yourself surfing at sunrise on pristine beaches, hiking to hidden waterfalls, or zip-lining through the canopy of a tropical rainforest. Embrace the pura vida spirit with locals known for their warm hospitality and laid-back attitude, making it easy to feel at home while immersing yourself in the culture. 

Read More: Eat, Drink, Explore: Monteverde 

Top 3 Costa Rica Study Abroad Programs 

If Costa Rica’s stunning landscapes and eco-friendly vibe catches your eye, then keep on reading! Here are CIEE Study Abroad’s top three programs offered in Monteverde. 

Featured Program #1: Monteverde Tropical Ecology + Conservation 

Explore how the high biodiversity of the tropics comes with the ecological processes that shape tropical communities and affect how human activities harm the environment. During the program's last weeks, you will carry out an independent research project where you will apply the knowledge gained through the program courses. 

• Program Length: 16 weeks 
  • Credit: 17-18 semester hours/25.5-27 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Coffee Cultivation, Commerce, and Culture 
  • Featured Excursion: Visit local coffee farms, livestock, and butterfly gardens to see how they add to Monteverde’s vibrant landscape   

Featured Program #2: Monteverde Sustainability + the Environment 

This program is for students from all fields of study interested in digging into today's pressing environmental issues. You'll participate in activities on local farms, natural reserves, field stations, and other experiences that provide intercultural understanding. 

• Program Length: 16 weeks 
  • Credit: 16-17 semester hours/24-25.5 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Excursion: Rise with the sun for birding tours or farm chores 
monteverde students forest exploration

Featured Program #3: January in Monteverde 

Grab your hiking boots and get ready to spend January in the progressive mountain community of San Luis de Monteverde. Designed for students from all fields of study, this program is an ideal fit for those eager to develop healthy and sustainable lifestyle habits to protect the environment.   

• Program Length: Three weeks 
  • Credit: 3 semester hours/4.5 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Course: Nature Photography, Social Media, and Environmental Engagement 
  • Featured Excursion: Hike under the dripping boughs of the cloud forest to observe colorful plants and animals 

Costa Rica vs Spain: Which Will You Choose? 

In the great showdown of Spain vs. Costa Rica for your study abroad destination, there’s really no wrong choice. Each country offers a unique and unforgettable experience, whether it's the rich history and exhilarating energy of Spain or the eco-friendly adventures and laid-back lifestyle of Costa Rica. Imagine exploring ancient castles or spending weekends sunbathing on Mediterranean beaches in Spain. Alternatively, picture yourself trekking through tropical rainforests or discovering exotic wildlife up close in Costa Rica. 

Whichever destination you choose, you're in for an adventure of a lifetime filled with new friends, incredible experiences, and memories you'll cherish forever. So, what are you waiting for? Your epic study abroad journey begins now! 

EXPLORE CIEE PROGRAMS