So…Why Botswana?

Community Public Health

CIEE Gaborone

Kayla Samuels from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).

It has been a little over a month since my propeller plane touched down in Gaborone! It has been a whirlwind of a month, from meeting new people, trying traditional foods, learning the ins and outs of public transportation, and adjusting to my new home for the next semester. In this month of continuous adjustment, the question that has been circulating in my mind is the good old “So why did you choose to come to Botswana?” I received this question what felt like a trillion times before I left, and by the last few weeks before my departure I had mastered my answer. I’d say, “I have always wanted to study abroad. I took an Arts of Africa class my freshman year and loved it, oh and I knew someone who studied at UB a few years ago. So I went for it.” I have also gotten the curious “Why Botswana?” question a good amount since I have been living in Gaborone. So, here’s why I chose to study in Bots!

This is my dorm bed and my stuffed bunny!

I have come across a good amount of challenges since landing in Botswana. I was robbed my third night in Gabs, which left me shaken. I have had to get used to the constant staring and cat-calling. I have had to learn how to be patient when the Wifi isn’t working or when a class I wanted to register for got canceled. Every day isn’t perfect in Gabs.

Now for the positives (just to name a few): I have met unbelievably kind local people such as the CIEE volunteers and random strangers assisting me with directions. I have met women who are tenacious, strong, and resilient, especially when it comes to fighting social norms constructed through the patriarchal society in which they live in. I have seen animals ranging from giraffes to impala (they are super rare here in Gabrone), as well as stunning sunrises and beautiful star-filled skies. I have engaged in conversations about public health, race, religion, colonization, and job insecurity. Some of my fondest memories from this past month include our welcome Braai (a BBQ), camping in the Makgadikgadi Pans, spending a night filled with laughter at our friend’s house, and dancing at a semi-poppin' club one Thursday night.

Just some flamingos on the Pans!

Welcome Braai! Dumela ("Hello" in Setswana)!

So how does this answer the question, “Why Botswana?” I didn’t have a clear-cut reason why I chose to study abroad in Botswana, and my knowledge about this country before coming here was quite bleak. What I know now, however, is why I am still here: because it is helping me become more independent, it is forcing me to think critically about the West’s view of Africa, and it has given me what I already consider friends that I know will last much longer than these 5 months. When I was robbed a few weeks back my parents stressed that if I wasn’t happy here I could come home. Even in my moments of extreme uncertainty, leaving has never crossed my mind. I still have the ‘butterflies swarming in your stomach’ feeling that I’ve picked the right place to study abroad.

I am not a believer that everything happens for a reason; I think things just happen. I happened to have chosen Botswana, but now it’s up to me to decide what kind of experience I will create for myself. So to any student contemplating studying in Botswana, I say go for it, even if you can’t articulate exactly why you have the urge to study here. I am only a month in, so I say this with a splash of optimism that I believe this program will be meaningful, fun, impactful, difficult and transformative. 

So “Why Botswana” you ask? Well, I truly despise clichés, but I kind of think Botswana chose me. 

Sorry for the oxymoron above. Peace out!