Seoul's Famous Markets

Hailey B.

One of the coolest things about Seoul is the various markets spread throughout the city. From shops to streets lined with food stalls, there is nothing you cannot find in these markets. 

1. Gwangjang Market

Located in the heart of Seoul, Gwangjang Market is one of the oldest and largest traditional markets in South Korea. This market was featured on an episode of Netflix's Street Food highlighting the countless stalls of foods that makes this market so famous. Korean foods such as bindaetteok (mung bean pancakes), bibimbap, kimbap, and even live octopus. Stepping into Gwangjang is like stepping back in time, as the market consists of narrow alleyways and never ending textile shops. 

When I visited Gwangjang Market my friends and I ate hotteok, tteokbokki, kimbap, dumplings, and binaetteok. All being incredibly delicious. Gwangjang Market is a must try for anyone in Seoul with an appetite for great food and fascinating architecture.

2. Namdaemun Market

Namdaemun Market, located near the historic Namdaemun Gate, is another must-visit destination for shoppers and food enthusiasts. This market is known for its diverse range of products, including clothing, accessories, electronics, and souvenirs. Here you can haggle with shop owners over prices and get a more traditional market vibe from the locals. While you shop to your hearts delight, street foods vendors form a line between the shops. Be sure to explore the market's narrow alleys and hidden corners, where you'll find unique treasures and unexpected surprises. 

Namdaemun is definitely a market that I will find myself returning to in the future. 

3. Myeongdong Market

Possibly the most popular market on this list, Myeongdong Market has a mix of street food, clothing shops, cafes, restaurants, and boutiques. This is the place everyone must visit when in Seoul. the vibrant atmosphere is immediately noted when arriving in Myeongdong, as the neon signs, open shop doors, and bustling crowds flow all around. 

After a long day of shopping and exploring, finding a place to eat will not be difficult. At 4pm, the street vendors open up and Myeongdong looks like a completely different place, as delicious smells fill the streets. You can find all kinds of street food here. And if street food is not the vibe, hit up Kyoja, the cheapest Michelin star restaurant in Seoul for their famous kal-guksu. 

Be ready to spend a lot of money here!

Seoul has many more markets that I have yet to visit, but hope to. This city has so much to offer and I am excited to continue discovering it!