Sadly, Every Great Adventure Must Come to an End

Kristie S.

As mentioned, every fun adventure must come to and end. Sadly, it is time for me to leave Korea as the semester wraps up.

For me, coming to South Korea and getting the chance to study here has been an absolute dream. One that I have to wake up from as it is time for me to pack up and get ready to leave. This has been such a great experience as it has allowed me to grow in so many different ways than I've ever expected.

When I first came to South Korea in 2019, I was just 16 and wanted the opportunity to experience a new culture. The program was very structured and we were always with a group. But for me, it was transformative and cemented my love for international education and traveling. When I was on the plane coming back from my first trip to Korea, I promised myself that I would come back as a college student and experience life in South Korea. This dream, one that has been cultivated over 5 years, has shaped my college experience and even my plans.

While I was very excited to come back to South Korea, I also had many fears. Would I make friends? What was I going to eat? Would I be able to explore like I wanted to? How was I going to survive without an income for 4 months? All of these questions followed me as I went on the plane and traveled to Korea. But in all honesty, all of those fears were simply that, fears that did not come true. I've made some amazing friends, many of whom I hope will grow with me outside of our study abroad. I've always been a picky eater, which has not changed, but I am more willing to try foods I haven't before and be more adventurous. As the blogs have explained, I've gotten to go explore different cities and different countries that I never thought possible. In my time in South Korea, I've turned 21, gotten a new tattoo, met so many people, gone to K-pop concerts, and eaten so much good food! 

I have to be honest in saying that I am completely blessed to have gotten this opportunity to go abroad here in South Korea. Without the support of my family and my study abroad office at school, coming here would have just remained a dream. But with their support, my dreams have been realized, and being here has allowed me the growth needed for my future. When I return to the US in just 3 short weeks, I will go on to teach in NYC for the second summer with the Breakthrough Collaborative NYC. After the summer, I will go on to my senior year where I will be applying to grad school for Higher Education Administration. My choice in grad school has been helped by my time here in South Korea because I hope to work in international education and help other students like me have the chance to go abroad. 

I would also like to say thank you to everyone who has read my blogs and followed along in my journey as an exchange student in South Korea. It has been amazing getting to write all of these blogs. I will always think fondly about my time here and being able to reminisce through my blogs makes it easier. I also hope that these blogs will help any students who are looking to go to South Korea with CIEE. So here is where I will sign off!

Goodbye Photo of the Author