Reflection : A Little Over a Month in Korea :)

Celeste C.

Hello! If we haven’t met before (probably most of you guys :)), allow me to introduce myself. 

My name is Celeste, and I’m a fall semester study abroad student at Yonsei University. I’m originally from Hong Kong, but now attend university in the States as a third-year marketing student. I spent the first twelve years of my life living in different parts of Asia: Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Singapore. So I guess you can say I spent more than half my life in Asia? 

It’s been so surreal being able to live in Asia again – something I’ve been dreaming about since I moved away. Korea reminds me a lot of Hong Kong and New York – almost like a marriage between the two cities. The hustling, fast-paced lifestyle reminds me of my early childhood mornings in Hong Kong; the self-focused mindset here reminds me of New York City. It’s not that people are selfish here, so to speak, but everyone is busy and has their own schedules and plans. A very “you do you” kind of energy, which, in my opinion, screams New York City in bold letters. Though Korea is different than the three places I’ve lived in, it’s interesting to see the similarities as well as the unique characteristics of the country during my time here thus far. 

Over the past month, I’ve found myself using the phrases “주세요" and “감사합니다" the most. The two are a staple pair for me, usually followed by a gentle head bow and an unconscious smile. I like the importance of expressing gratitude here, no matter how big or small the matter is. Of course, “Thank You’s” are very important in the States too. Maybe it’s just a me thing, but something about seeing Ahjumma’s kind smile before leaving the restaurant, or Ahjussi’s indescribable noises of acknowledgment makes it even more special. 

I’ve also been appreciating the scenery around Korea. The liveliness of Gangnam, the buzz of Hongdae, the peace of Hangang. There’s so much love and appreciation for the diverse sceneries Seoul has to offer. Hangang, especially, holds a special place in my heart. Being able to hop on a bus after class and spend the evening at Hangang, alone or with friends, while watching the sunset and taking in Seoul’s breathtaking skyline – I’ll surely miss this when I return to the States. 

Another essential to mention is the cafes in Korea. Next level. Life-changing. Mind-blowing. You name it. The cafe culture here is really different than in the States (if there’s even one at all). I particularly enjoy the Seongsu and Apgujeong areas. There are many, many streets just of aesthetically pleasing cafes – pictures you’d only find on Pinterest and Instagram. Cafes with certain themes, pretty views, specialty in desserts, etc. Do note that many of the prettier cafes are a bit on the pricier side when it comes to drinks, but still worth it especially if you’re spending the afternoon there to study.  

In case you haven’t noticed already, the past few weeks in Korea have been an absolute blast for me. Every day has been an adventure – from observing the daily life of Seoulites to exploring Pinterest-esque cafes and taking long peaceful strolls along the Hangang. Naturally, there were some periods of loneliness and confusion at times of course, but there were definitely more sunny days than gloomy ones :) I can’t wait to see what the next few months in Seoul will be like!