Ning Zhou, Trip Leader of PEA (Phillips Exeter Academy): "I advise the students to have an open-mind and immerse in the language and culture the country offers"

CIEE Berlin

Our students from Phillips Exeter Academy (often called Exeter or PEA) left Berlin a few days ago. They had an amazing time living here at our dorm for 3 weeks, where they were able to study and learned about many initiatives developing in Berlin, mainly related with innovation, sustainability, entrepreneurship, and more. 

Their program was amazing: they had global and social entrepreneurship classes in the morning and excursions to museums, parks and local institutions almost every day. They were also able to learn about the culture of Germany, with a strong focus on business development, entrepreneurship and local initiatives and organizations.They had sessions with speakers (one tech start up founder and one philanthropist from Wall Street) and they had  sites visits to Humana and Impact.

Phillips Exeter Academy is located in Exeter, New Hampshire and was founded in 1781, (sixth oldest boarding school in the United States). It is a private college prep boarding school for students in grades 9-12, including graduate students. They have students from different countries and they educational method is the harkness method, which is student led teaching and learning method.
We talked with one of their coordinators on site, Ning Zhou, originally from Hangzhou China and currently working at Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire, USA,  who told us more about their time in Berlin!

Could you tell us more about your experience as Trip Leaders of Phillips Exeter Academy program in Berlin? 

Last year, I led an entrepreneurship trip in Singapore, and we collaborated with CIEE. This year I am grateful to have the opportunity to travel with students in Berlin. The selected students went through a detailed application process. We also get input from their advisors. This is a very engaging group and many students do not know each other before the trip, but only after a few days, they already bond with each other.

How would you describe the highlights of this program?

Jasmine our program coordinator is fantastic. She is attentive, responsible and well connects with each of the students. I am so grateful for Jasmine being our coordinator.
The entrepreneur class led by Stephen was so engaging and informative. Students learned so much for the past 3 weeks. We are grateful for the opportunity.
The variety of extra co-curricular activities, such as Berliner Philharmonic, Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp visit,  Sanssouci Palace, etc.

How would you describe the experience so far?
Engaging, well organized with rich curriculum and extra co-curricular activities.

We understand that the educational method used by PEA is the Harkness table, could you let us know the advantages and benefits of this learning process?
The method provides students an interactive and engaging learning setting. Students willingly share their opinions with others at the table, and they learned to be advocate for themselves. This method also provides students the opportunity to have their voice heard. Teachers are considered as facilitator for the students.

What would you tell a student that is thinking on studying abroad in this program, some advice?
Have an open-minded and immerse yourself in the language and culture the country offers.

How have your days in Berlin been so far and what do you expect?
It is such a perfect trip!