My Experience with Korea's endless pool of Jeong (정/情)

Summer Korean Studies

Asher Ruth P.

My favorite word I have learned in Korea thus far is Jeong (정/情). It's a simple short word that has no true English translation but plays a huge part in Korean culture. Jeong is deep love, affection, selflessness, and kindness.. When my Korean culture professor taught this to me I initially thought about family and friends. Deep love and connection in my life often comes from the people I've grown up with or choose to be around everyday, those people have helped me so much and made me into who I am today. But in Korea, Jeong applies to everyone and is absolutely everywhere you step. Being here has opened me up to so much Jeong and it has truly been one of the best things to experience. Korea is full of so much love and I have seen it in so many places. Here are just a few examples I have experienced in only two weeks:

Sharing culture is a huge thing in Korea. Many meals come in large sizes that are sharable. Growing up my family gave me one rule when receiving a phone and that was no phones at the dinner table. Dinner is for connection and conversation they would tell me. Growing up that didn't mean much to me but as I've become an adult I've learned the importance of that rule and how impersonal meals can be with people are engulfed by their devices. Well, in Korea that rule isn't needed, jeong celebrates enjoying moments and meals with any and everyone. I hardly ever see people on their phones during meals, they make sure to stop and enjoy who they are with. They also share their food which brings an even stronger sense of connection in a way. Sharing culture is a simple but beautiful thing. I've been so blessed to be able to experience this with all sorts of people here and I can confirm jeong is strong at the dinner table, and so is the spice in the food. 

An example of sharing culture at a yummy tteokbokki place
An example of sharing culture at our favorite chicken place
Smiling happily in preparation for our yummy meal shared together

Language barrier as you would assume is intimidating. It is very vulnerable not speaking a language and trying to navigate a foreign country. But it has never been a problem for me here. Jeong has come to my rescue! Many times if I find myself lost, I am found by a friendly Korean smile directing me and making me feel comfortable and not like a burden. Even if they speak no English they stop and help me. A little old lady led me to a spa and laughed with me about my lack of directional knowledge. It felt very familiar and brought out a sense of family even though we had never met before. It reminds me of being in Elementary school and how your teachers' kindness and words feel as a young kid. There is so much patience and so much looking out for one another regardless of who you are or where you are from.

Fan culture was a big reason I was excited to come to Korea. I've always been a fangirl and K-pop is something I am very passionate about. I established Flagler College’s K-pop club with the help of a few others and became Co-President for a year so I've had a small taste of fan culture and community. But I have learned that Korea does fan culture on another level. Fan culture is about sharing passion together and being proud. I went to an FC Seoul game and sat in the chant section. At the start of the game everyone around me held up a scarf and began singing. I had no scarf but I sang happily the best I could. Noticing this, the man beside me handed me half of his scarf and gave me a bright smile that made me feel welcomed. We shared many moments that game, cheering together and connecting with Jeong. He also told me I did a good job at the chant which I would like everyone to take note of :) Fan culture is another beautiful piece of Korean culture that radiates Jeong and feels warm.

FC Seoul Fan Culture Jeong as we all cheered together for our team

Another night my friends and I sat out watching the ocean at Jeju island and we were approached by two girls. They spoke hardly any English and were from China. They told us they took a cute picture of us and wanted us to have it because our laughter was contagious. One of them happened to notice a K-pop screensaver my friend had during this interaction and immediately she cheered. "Tomorrow by Together!!" She shouted and we all began to cheer together and communicate about our favorite K-pop group through google translate and smiles. I even exchanged contact information with them and still chat to this day even though we don't speak the same language. We came from different places around the world but could connect through our passion. Jeong was strong in our interaction. Jeong isn't just kindess but love and warmth. 

A selfie we took moments after bonding over kpop with no knowledge of one another's language

Jeong comes in many ways. It comes in making meals for one another, sharing moments, gifting and more. Jeong also comes through all sorts of people. Jeong can be all around the world. Though Korea definitely does it the best and identifies with it. Everywhere I go here I can feel Jeong, although I am definitely someone who romanticizes everything. Seoul is a city that glows in good people and joy. I would even go as far as to say that Korea has an atmosphere of Jeong. 

Meeting our Seoulmates who have been so helpful and shown so much Jeong
Jeong even comes when sharing a delicious beer
A photo with our favorite guide Daniel who's brightness brought so much Jeong