Pop-Up Culture in Seoul

Summer Korean Studies

Hannah G.

Being from the US, I’ve never really experienced anything like the pop-up culture that is active in Seoul. With pop-ups designed by makeup companies to luxury brands, these stores are great places for photo-ops and to buy their newest products at a discounted price. 

Seongsu is one of the most popular neighborhoods in Seoul that regularly hosts pop-ups for locals and tourists alike to visit. In Seongsu, one of my favorite pop-ups that I was able to visit was by the makeup brand, Fwee. Fwee recently rocked the social media scene with the launch of their innovative blush and lip tint products. The Fwee Lip & Cheek Blurry Pudding Pots are airy, matte, and add the perfect flush to your face. In the time that I visited the pop-up, they had an ongoing deal for a free key chain with purchase. Inside the key chain, they would add your choice of one of their blurring tint shades. For someone that walked into the shop strictly for a blush and the free keychain, I may have also walked out of the store with an eyeshadow palette as well. 

Another pop-up I visited recently was the Centella (SKIN 1004) pop-up in the heart of Myeongdong. Myeongdong is a neighborhood that is known for their expansive street food market and skin care shops, so when I randomly discovered this pop-up store as a skin-care fanatic, I was really excited. At Centella, they had several of their most popular products such as their Signature Soothing Ampoule at a discounted price, as well as a photobooth where you could take pictures for free! Once we took some shots at the photobooth, the workers were kind enough to give us all a sample of their sunscreens. Additionally, once I purchased one of their Ampoules, they included a face mask as a gift. 

Regardless of what pop-up you wander into in Seoul, you’ll find something that catches your eye. Beware of the pop-ups, you will probably walk out with several new products to test out!