Murales de Los Pepines

Liberal Arts

Mariah K.

Los Murales de Los Pepines is a truly the hidden jewel of Santiago. I have seen a lot of murals throughout cities in the United States, however, I have never seen communities and homes that were decorated with art. Los Pepines is one of the oldest communities that has maintained its traditional look with a few modern upgrades without gentrifying the community. Once I stepped foot into the first street I could witness generations of families dancing and playing. I really enjoyed trying the empanadas and lemon juice that were locally made by family-owned businesses in the neighborhood. If you enjoy live merengue music and dancing, this is the perfect place to come and show off your moves. I had the opportunity to meet Ms.Mary who is a custom designer and choreographer for carnival every year. She makes all of her costumes with her bare hands and works off of donations that she receives from the community. She surprised my group and me with a performance by the local kids that perform during the carnival season. The kids ranged in ages from 6-12 years old and their talents with the whips amazed me. Murales de Los Pepines had a lot of symbolism within their murals. The murals addressed issues ranging from the environment to the importance of embracing your identity. I view art as not only a form of expression, but as a form of activism for people that are not always heard.