4 Best Dominican Republic Study Abroad Programs

Liberal Arts

Imagine waking up to the sound of ocean waves crashing against golden sands, the scent of fresh tropical fruit filling the air, and a day ahead that could include anything from hiking through dense rainforests to dancing merengue with locals under the Caribbean stars. This isn’t a vacation; this is study abroad in the Dominican Republic

Whether you're looking to dive deep into cultural immersion or gain hands-on experience in your field, our four best study abroad programs in Dominican Republic offer the perfect mix of adventure and academic excellence. 

Why Study Abroad in Dominican Republic 

Dominican Republic study abroad offers you the chance to thrive in a tropical setting while earning college credits and honing your Spanish language skills. Set against the backdrop of stunning mountains and picturesque beaches, Santiago de los Caballeros serves as your home base, where you will dive into a rich tapestry of history and modernity while soaking up the sun.  

When you study abroad in the Dominican Republic, you’ll gain unparalleled access to this diverse country of 10 million, where you can adventure through breathtaking national parks, unwind on stunning beaches, and immerse yourself in local arts and culture. In the Dominican Republic, every moment becomes a chance to discover something extraordinary about the island and about yourself, both academically and personally.  

dominican republic students volunteering

Read More: Study Abroad in Latin America: The Ultimate Guide 

4 of the Best Study Abroad Programs in the Dominican Republic 

Get ready to experience the Dominican Republic with these four awesome study abroad programs that blend academic growth with real-life adventure. Each program lets you connect with the local community and explore the island’s amazing culture while leveling up your education. 

Featured Program #1: Liberal Arts 

Take your Spanish language skills to new heights and learn about the development of the society, culture, business, economics, and politics of the island of Hispaniola. Courses taught by CIEE Santiago and by Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) are complemented with cultural activities coordinated by CIEE to enhance classroom learning and develop intercultural understanding. 

• Program Length: 16 weeks 
  • Credit: 15-18 semester hours/22.5-27 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Excursion: El Limón waterfall, a 40-meter waterfall that ends in a wide natural pool with crystal clear blue water 

Read More: Eat, Drink, Explore: Santiago de los Caballeros 

Featured Program #2: Summer Community Public Health 

Spend your summer exploring the complexities of healthcare in developing countries through study abroad in the Dominican Republic. With a blend of engaging classroom learning and hands-on fieldwork in both urban and rural environments, you’ll gain valuable insights into the social and health challenges facing the Caribbean’s fastest-growing nation. Courses are taught in Spanish at CIEE’s partner institution, Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM), one of the top universities in the Dominican Republic. 

• Program Length: 9 weeks 
  • Credit: 10 semester hours/15 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Excursion: Tour the Murals of Los Pepines and admire Santiago's traditional Downtown 
carnival abroad dominican republic students

Featured Program #3: Summer in Santiago DR 

Get ready for an unforgettable summer adventure! This study abroad program offers an incredible opportunity to dive into Dominican and Greater Caribbean history, culture, language, and more. CIEE Santiago-DR organizes engaging activities designed to enhance your intercultural understanding and improve your Spanish language skills, all while you soak up the sun on the Caribbean’s most beautiful beaches 

• Program Length: 4 weeks 
  • Credit: 2-4 per session semester hours/4.5-6 per session quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Excursion: Walk around the historic city of Puerto Plata before heading down for a quick swim in the turquoise waters and white sand on one of the best beaches along the Atlantic Ocean 

Featured Program #4: January in Santiago DR 

In January, take your winter break to the next level by studying abroad in Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic, and immerse yourself in the lively daily life of this Caribbean island. During this January term program, you’ll spend three-and-a-half weeks delving into the rich tapestry of Afro-Caribbean history, culture and identity. From exploring the legacy of Taíno and African cultures to Spanish and American cultures, you’ll examine notable music, art, religion, and social movements. 

• Program Length: 4 weeks 
  • Credit: 3 semester hours/4.5 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA 
  • Featured Excursion: Walk the cobblestoned paths around the historic colonial zone, with an enlightening decolonial tour 
liberal arts dominican republic students water sports abroad

Read More: Best Places to Study Abroad in Latin America 

Which Study Abroad Program in the Dominican Republic Will You Choose? 

Unlock the adventure of a lifetime through study abroad in the Dominican Republic – where culture, beautiful landscapes, and personal growth awaits you! This isn’t just another academic experience; with every moment, you’ll broaden your horizons and deepen your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have the chance to learn from local experts, immerse yourself in the Spanish language, and participate in hands-on projects that make a difference.  

Don’t let Dominican Republic study abroad pass you by – make your mark and start your journey today! 

EXPLORE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC STUDY ABROAD