Miscellaneous Items You'll Probably Need to Survive a Day in Korea

Kierra C.

When packing for my first international experience, I decided to ignore every piece of advice I’d read on websites that told me to under-pack hygiene and miscellaneous items because I could just buy what I needed here. While that is true, I was stubborn and wanted to bring all the brands I was used to with me. That, and it saved me the hassle of running around Seoul trying to find which Daiso had this and which Olive Young had that (would still recommend going here for things to buy, though). After spending only about a week in Korea, I realized I was still severely underprepared in terms of small everyday items I see a lot of local Koreans using on a daily. Some of these I already owned, but others I found out were so vital to surviving Korea’s unpredictable weather and environment. So now, after being here for a good six weeks, I’ve gathered a mega list of random items you may want to invest in if you want to comfortably spend a day out on the town.

Hand Sanitizer

This one is obvious, and something you should probably be carrying no matter what country you’re in. When in Korea, you’ll most likely be traveling all over Seoul and then some, trying to get the most out of your study abroad experience. Seoul is such a populated area, and with that comes a TON of germs. You’ll be taking subways and buses, using bathrooms, and touching doors. Just like in your country, there are some people here who think water is enough to wash their hands, and if you’re out clubbing, many bathrooms just don’t have soap so water is your only option. Bring hand sanitizer with you.

Umbrella

Please buy an umbrella. I’m begging you. The rain here is absolutely brutal. It rarely drizzles, it pours, and when it pours, it goes. all. day. My umbrella wouldn’t fit in my suitcase so I knew I needed to get one asap. I recommend trying to find one of those gigantic ones to prevent as much rain from getting to you, and so your friend can take cover if they forget theirs.

You’ll also find out quickly that umbrellas here aren’t only used for rain, but for extremely sunny days as well, when the sun is beating down on you. Some purposes for this are preventing an uneven tan, sunburn, or UV damage. It also prevents the sun's rays from making you sweat as fast. I bought a clear see-through umbrella for the rain and a regular one for the sun, both of which I got at Daiso.

Fans

FANS, FANS, FANS. You need one. Immediately. Seoul’s humidity is no joke. It gets insanely hot here. I made the mistake of not buying one before CIEE’s little scavenger hunt and I along with most of my group were practically dying by the end of task #2. These little things are a game changer, and one of my favorite things to use because I get hot very easily. Yonsei’s co-op store down in the commons is where you should buy yours. I’m starting to question why these aren't universally used because I am absolutely carrying this everywhere with me when I get back to the States!

Travel Deodorant

You probably already do this, but here’s a reminder. You will probably sweat. A lot. It’s good to have a little refreshment on you if you can’t stop by your dorm or hotel during the day.

Pimple Patches

Not essential, but if you’re wanting to get into skincare (and failing miserably like me), pimple patches are a good thing to invest in. People wear these things like it’s a pair of sunglasses, and I’ve started to, too. Here, you can freely wear one on your face without people judging you or looking at you weirdly. You’ll blend in pretty well.

Sunscreen

Honestly, it’s your face’s best friend. Be nice to your skin and apply this every day for me.

Sunglasses

Do you want to go sightseeing on a clear sunny day in your new home country? Well, you won’t be able to see much if the sun is in your eyes. When I tell you the sun beams at you, it beams. I love not squinting for dear life and enjoying my day, and I have sunglasses to thank for that.

Hand Lotion

You’ll probably be washing your hands in public a lot and dealing with humid or dry weather, so carry some lotion on you to keep your hands moisturized. I have eczema, so I have to carry not only lotion but eczema cream as well. How fun.

Lip Balm/Chapstick

Just like in your home country, this one is a must. Humid + dry weather + eating a lot of potentially spicy foods will have your poor lips clinging on for dear life. Especially if you forget to drink water. Which you should also do.

Bug Spray

My roommate and I are constantly at war with these dumb mosquitos, and South Korea has seen a rise in malaria cases recently, so for your safety, come prepared.

Tote Bag

Just something for you to pack all of the aforementioned products in and carry around! Everyone here has a tote bag, purse, fanny pack, or jacket with a bunch of pockets. Choose your fighter.

Outlet Adapter/Portable Charger

Imagine you take an all-day excursion two cities over and your phone dies toward the end of the day. This one is vital. You definitely will not survive here if you don’t have an outlet adapter (unless you're from a country that has the same outlets). Or you can carry a good ol’ reliable portable charger to save your day.

Under Outfit Thermal Wear

Or whatever the proper name is for it. I haven’t experienced it yet, but I hear and see everywhere that the winters here are built differently. This probably shouldn’t be on the list since I haven’t invested in one yet, but I plan on buying it once winter rolls around. This paired with those extremely long coats should keep you nice and cozy.

Pocket Warmers

Also a handy item for the winter season. Use a pair of gloves and keep these in more pockets and you can surely avoid freezing your fingertips off in the cold weather.