Intercultural Adjustment in France & Culture Shock

Summer Intensive French Language

CIEE Rennes

While traveling and living abroad, having an open mind is key to understanding and appreciating cultural practices and customs that may be different from your own. I have studied about French culture for years, but it was nothing compared to living there and experiencing it first-hand. Before studying in France, I believed that culture shock was a myth and that it could never happen to me since I was already well-informed about the culture, but I soon proved myself wrong. In fact, culture shock is a complex phenomenon with several steps which include:

1. The Honeymoon Phase: when everything is new and exciting
  2. The Cultural Crisis: feeling misunderstood and irritated by your surroundings
  3. The Low Point: when you feel lonely, homesick, and annoyed with the new culture
  4. Acceptance, Adjustment, & Integration: curiosity & positive thinking returns
  5. Re-Entry Shock: feeling sad to leave & realization that home culture is now foreign

My study abroad with CIEE was the first time I had been alone from my family for a substantial period of time, so that in itself was an adjustment. For the first week and a half, it was tough to acclimatize to a new schedule, new people, new classes, and new culture all at the same time. I went through the stages of culture shock, where I felt isolated from everyone, but I kept reminding myself that this feeling was only temporary. Luckily, I had my classmates – now some of my best friends – as well as my host family to help overcome the initial struggle. Once I reached the acceptance stage, I was so excited for all the opportunities to explore the country and culture. 

Throughout the program, I have found that I have acclimated to many cultural norms that were unfamiliar to me. One instance that I can recall was moments after I had just landed in Paris in late May, where it was around 70ºF (21ºC); and since it was warmer, I changed into shorts. As soon as I did, I looked around to see much more fashionable and modestly dressed people in the waiting area, and I felt out of place and poorly dressed. I come to realize that French people typically dress for the season and not for weather, and they will do so in style. For a while, I was worried about being judged for how I dressed until I noticed that a lot of people have their own style. It was then I realized that I do not have to lose myself in hopes of fitting into another culture. Ultimately, despite the many trials and errors that I have had while adjusting to life in France, I would not trade my experiences and acquired knowledge for the world.

Claire Gordon

Oakland University

CIEE-Rennes Intensive French Language & Culture (Summer 2024)