Hongdae’s Newest PC Bang: T1 Base Camp

Micah A.

Hi!

I wanted to talk about my experience going to a PC Bang. PC Bangs, also known as internet cafes, are a prominent part of South Korea's gaming culture. They are establishments where people can rent computers for around a couple thousand won/hr and play video games. PC Bangs in Korea typically offer a wide range of popular games, including games like League of Legends, Overwatch, and StarCraft. They are equipped with high-performance computers, comfortable gaming chairs, and fast internet connections to provide an optimal gaming experience.

Photo for blog post Hongdae’s Newest PC Bang: T1 Base Camp

In addition to gaming, PC Bangs often offer other amenities such as food and drinks, allowing visitors to stay for extended periods without interruption. Some PC Bangs also provide private rooms for a more secluded gaming experience. My friend and I like eating dumplings and katsu for food and peach iced tea for drinks. The PC Bang that I went to is sponsored by SK Telecom, one of Korea’s largest telecommunication providers. Their Esports team, T1, is an insanely popular League of Legends team in Korea, and much of their merchandising and decor is based around the Esports community they have built. This specific place also has a general video gaming store, kind of similar to American Game Stops. There's also some clothing for sale by the entrance.

If you like video games or like the T1 Esports team, I’d highly recommend the same PC Bang I went to in Hongdae. However, I will say that you need an ARC or someone to make a Korean account if you want to play on Korean servers, like for League of Legends. Most games do not have this issue though, and you can manually change the server. I hope you enjoy!

147, Yanghwa-ro, Mapo-gu, Seoul B1, South Korea