Happiness Excursion: Night Light Cafe

Open Campus Block

Jessika R.

Week 5 / 6

I cannot believe that my time here in Copenhagen, Denmark is almost over! I am so happy with all the wonderful things that I have done throughout my time here, but something that I am happy I was able to do was be a volunteer for a night at the Night Light Cafe! The Night Light Cafe is inside of a church where Nigerian prostitutes go to as a safe haven from men and from the police. While the women are at the church, we make them snacks, sandwiches, and tea or water. We all went around the red-light district that was around the church and hand out tea to the women while they work to make sure that they are doing well and are staying warm. I was able to meet and hear one woman talk with her friend, who is a volunteer there, about them planning on meeting up the next day for some food and to walk around and talk. The women seemed really nice, but it was difficult to talk to them because of the language barriers and them not wanted to talk about their life or what they do. It was so nice to be a volunteer for the night and help provide these women some comfort. I feel as though there should be more programs and organizations that, instead of frowning upon people and the choices that they make, whether on a need or want basis, help people in a productive way that can help them improve the quality of their lives. Rather than just hate or discriminate them for it.