Grace: "Studying abroad is about more than just classes; it's diving into a new culture, facing challenges head-on, and discovering parts of yourself you never knew existed"

Summer Global Internship

CIEE Berlin

Grace Kadia is part of the Summer Global Internship students at CIEE Berlin. She is originally from Fort Worth, Texas and studying at the University of North Texas, where is major in Pre-Law and Psychology, with minors in International Studies and Legal Studies in Business. Plus, She is working on a certificate in Legal Studies. 

Grace is one of the more than 100 students taking part of our internship program, where they come to work and also live in Berlin for 8 weeks with the goal of gaining real-life work experience abroad and also explore industries of interest, network with international professionals, and develop new skill sets. But not only that, also getting to know the culture and history of Berlin. 

Here, Grace tell us more about this experience so far!

• Could you tell us more about your experience in Berlin so far?

Studying abroad in Berlin has been an incredible journey for me so far! At first, navigating this vibrant city as a Black woman felt a bit daunting—I wasn't sure where I'd fit in. But as I've explored, I've met some amazing people and discovered Berlin's vibrant creative scene. TikTok and Instagram have been surprisingly helpful, guiding me to local spots and connecting me with artists and innovators who share my passions.

As for the food, I'll be honest, I was a bit hesitant at first, but sauerkraut and schnitzel have really won me over, so it definitely deserves a try—regardless of your tastes (i.e. just do it for the plot, that has been my motivating mantra the entire trip lol). Most importantly, what's really captivated me about Berlin is its artsy vibe and innovative spirit. Exploring cozy cafes and uncovering hidden gems off the beaten path has been so rewarding, arguably more so than tourist-hubs. That being said, I still have so so much to explore and am currently scheduled to go an African Fashion Show this week—I’m super excited to see what more Berlin has to offer!

• What has been the best moment/experience?

OMG!!! This is so funny, I recently stumbled upon this underground rock concert here, and it was like something out of a movie. Picture this: a dimly lit venue with the best drinks, a super passionate band, and locals absolutely soaking up the energy—chanting, dancing, just living in the moment. After a couple of drinks and once the concert wrapped up, I found myself chatting away for hours with fellow concert-goers. We dove into everything from politics and life to deep philosophical debates and, of course, our favorite music. We swapped stories about our wildest experiences and had a lively discussion about the misconceptions about the United States and Europe. What really struck me was how quickly we all clicked, despite being from different corners of the globe. It's moments like these—unexpected, electric, and filled with genuine connections—that make studying abroad so incredibly rewarding.

• What would you tell a student that is thinking on studying abroad, some advice?

In Berlin, there's this cool thing where some clubs take your phone at the door to help you really be present in the moment. It's a great metaphor for studying abroad: Be here now. My mantra throughout my travel has been ‘do it for the plot’. Embrace the fear, be spontaneous, and come back with stories that define your journey. Studying abroad is about more than just classes; it's diving into a new culture, facing challenges head-on, and discovering parts of yourself you never knew existed. Take risks, step outside your comfort zone, and let your curiosity lead the way. Again, feeling nervous is normal—it's all part of the plot.

The memories and personal growth are what make it all worthwhile. And remember, when you're there, consider putting your phone aside now and then—you'll be amazed at how much richer your experiences become.

• Can you tell us more about the internship you are doing, and which is your role there?

I'm currently interning at a startup focused on integrating feminist principles into workplace governance. Our goal is to pioneer new models that prioritize equality and dismantle traditional power dynamics. At the moment, I'm coordinating a fundraising event aimed at securing support from donors who resonate with our mission. Simultaneously, I'm crafting a proposal to revamp our social media strategy, aiming to expand our reach and amplify awareness about our initiatives. It's an exciting opportunity to contribute to meaningful change and advocate for feminist values in a tangible way.

• How has the experience to work in other country/culture been and which would be the main challenges/ opportunities?

Working in another country has been a wonderfully relaxing experience for me. When I decided to pursue an internship unrelated to law, it was to explore interests I hadn't had time for in the United States. What I've found here is a work environment that feels humane and accommodating. I start my day around 10:30 AM, don't have to be in the office until noon or later, and enjoy casual meetings, hearty laughs with colleagues, and moments to admire the view out the window. It's not about minimal effort but about embracing a more balanced approach to work. 

The biggest adjustment has been realizing I don't need to overwork myself as I might in the United States. For instance, colleagues take weeks of vacation without feeling pressured to stay connected, and it's accepted to stay home when sick. This softer approach to work has been refreshing. That being said, working in a hybrid model has been particularly enjoyable; it allows me to travel extensively outside Berlin, from coffee shops in Amsterdam one weekend to parks in Belgium the next. This flexibility has truly been an opportunity to blend work with exploration.