Global Institute – Rome, Ready to Welcome Study Abroad Students

The scaffolding and drop clothes are gone. The light fixtures are installed, paintings hung, and the custom-designed furniture thoughtfully arranged around plants, marble busts, and brightly covered area rugs.

What was once home to Rome’s senior church leaders is now the CIEE Global Institute – Rome, an elegant palazzo where students can immerse themselves in intercultural learning, ancient Roman history, and Italy’s rich heritage when the doors open next week.

Local artisans spent the good part of a year carefully restoring the building’s Renaissance features including wood-carved coffered ceilings, hand-laid terrazzo tile, marble fireplaces and doorways, crystal chandeliers, and a host of antique furniture and artwork. The richly ornate Renaissance vibe has been lightened by locally made modern furniture featuring organic shapes and bright colors throughout the five classrooms, administrative offices, student lounges, and art gallery.

Photo for blog post Global Institute – Rome, Ready to Welcome Study Abroad Students

According to CIEE’s Chief Administrative Officer David Fusco, great pains were taken to retain and restore the original details of the building. “The building is a physical representation of Rome in the 1500’s and will give students insight into what these magnificent villas once looked like back in the day.”

The building is located in the Jewish Quarter, in the heart of the historic district, and a stone’s throw from the Forum, Colosseum, and Piazza Venezia. “Walking from the Global Institute, students will encounter many famous ancient structures, while also being in the center of the shopping avenues.”

CIEE programs in Rome include the Open Campus Block program, Summer in Rome, and January in Rome.

Rome is one of 14 CIEE global Institutes around the globe featuring the innovative Open Campus Block program that offers students the opportunity to study in up to three countries in one semester. Since the program launched in 2017, participation has nearly doubled, with more than 1,300 students expected to attend one or more 6-week block, 3-week J-term, or 4-week summer sessions in 2020.