Eating Through Seoul

Summer Korean Studies

Hannah G.

Food is one of the main things that can function as a bridge between the sharing of cultures and experiences among diverse groups of people. I believe that sharing meals over dinner tables has been some of the best ways that I have been able to connect with loved ones. In Seoul, there is nothing short of amazing restaurants where you will be able to experience just this. 

Before coming to Seoul, I knew that I would have to try the original Myeongdong Kyoja restaurant that I loved going to so much in my hometown, Koreatown. Myeongdong Kyoja in Seoul is definitely a restaurant of simplicity, with the four classic items on the menu. The kalguksu is the dish that I recommend above anything else for its rich chicken broth and the soft, chewy knife cut noodles. Checking out this restaurant was something that I was really excited to do, especially knowing that this was a Michelin rated restaurant in Korea (but dare I say that the Myeondong Kyoja is SLIGHTLY better in Koreatown… you did not hear this from me though…). 

Sulbing, a Korean shaved ice (bingsoo) shop, is the go to spot that my friends and I always went to back home, so of course I needed to try out the Sulbing here in Seoul. With several locations around the city, the bingsoo here truly impressed me with its presentation and taste. When looking for a refreshing sweet treat, make sure to order the Green Tea Chocolate Bingsoo and the Mango Bingsoo. Especially if you’re coming to Seoul in the summer, you will need these desserts to cool you down on a hot, humid day. 

As a student at Yonsei, exploring the different restaurants in Sinchon is a necessity. Abiko Curry was a restaurant that I always found myself going back to, for their spicy Japanese curry. I also loved the convenience of the ordering system, where your party can order off of a tablet and even split the bill at the spot. 

If you’re looking for a restaurant that serves comforting broth, Delicious Soontofu and Kimchi Jjim is worth checking out, and the food definitely is delicious. The soontofu is spicy and silky, and you can tell that their banchan (side dishes) were made with love. 

Seoul is filled with hidden gems in every corner of the city. Regardless of whether or not you actively search for a specific place or walk into any local restaurant in the area you’re exploring, I can guarantee that you will be eating incredibly well throughout your trip here.