Day Trip to Nami Island

Nicolas H.

Some friends and I decided to go to Nami Island over Chuseok weekend and I thought I would share. Although I did not sleep much the night. before we decided to jump on the ITX train, but not knowing much about how the trains or ticket system works, we had thought we made a mistake and taken the wrong train. After regrouping with everyone and understanding we had made an error. It created a whole bunch of hoops to jump through to get back on the right track to Gapyeong. After the exhausting extra steps we had created for ourselves, and my lack of sleep, I was relieved to have finally made it to our destination after however long it had taken. The area surrounding the island was beautiful. There were many mountains, restaurants, and tourist spots. We could have taken a ferry to the island, but some friends noticed a zip line and were talking about maybe just doing that. After realizing there was no line, we quickly decided to just zipline to one of the islands, and they would speed boat us to the main island. After 4 of us used the zip line and took another boat we all met up and decided to get some BBQ and explore what the island had to offer.

It was beautiful, there were dozens of places to take photos or just enjoy the view of the surrounding mountains and lake. Many pathways were going different ways, all with different things at the end of them. There were children's parks, small train rides, aesthetic walkways under glowing balloons, neon clouds, overlooks, interesting statues, and Korean traditional bells you could ring. It was very pleasing to be in nature without the big city in the background. Although it was getting colder as the sun set and I did not dress accordingly, it didn't take away from the pleasantness of everything. After a long day of exploring we made our way back to a hotel to spend the night before heading back to sinchon early the next morning. Unfortunately, I had come down with something and when I woke up I was not feeling very healthy. Thankfully we got on the right train and got back in a much more efficient way.

Nami Island was beautiful and I would love to go again before my time is up in South Korea, probably more in prime fall weather when all the trees are done changing colors. The experience was one to remember and I would recommend it for anyone who visits South Korea.