Day Off in Busan

Summer Korean Studies

Hannah G.

Studying abroad at Yonsei is a great way to explore the liveliness of Seoul, but in the short time that you’re here in Korea, I can't help but encourage taking a quick trip down south to the city of Busan. You may have heard about this city from the movie Train to Busan, but I can promise that rather than a casual spar with zombies, it is a smooth, quiet two hour train ride that will go by in the blink of an eye. 

First stop on the trip is obviously Jimin’s dad’s cafe, Magnate, great for a quick bite to eat and to check out all of the cool fanart around the space. The interior is stunning, with a rustic aesthetic accompanied by chandeliers, big, open windows, and tons of seating. 

While in Busan, a trip to the Gamcheon Culture Village is a must, with views that will quite literally take your breath away. The colors of the houses are incredibly vibrant, making it a great location for a photo op. The village also has shops where you can rent hanboks to wear, but the village itself is a smaller space, so that is definitely something to keep in mind. 

After these excursions, you definitely will want to grab something to eat, so I recommend checking out one of the many outdoor markets that Busan has to offer. Closer to the coast of Busan is Bupyeong Kkangtong Market, which has a wide selection of street food to try. Grabbing a hot hotteok straight off the griddle is essential, but make sure to also check out the other local vendors in the area for things like jewelry, watches, and clothing. 

To end off the trip, I recommend heading towards Songdo Beach to unwind after a long day of sightseeing. Walking along the shore to cool down, while taking pictures of the view is a great way to commemorate the trip that you’ve had so far. After a quick bus ride to Busan station, you’ll be on your way back to Seoul on the KTX.

Busan is a spot that you will have to add to your itinerary when in Korea. There are many spots that are worth exploring, beyond what I have been able to personally see, and those that Seoul may not be able to offer. So, when in Korea, make sure to stop by Busan!