Highlights from the Great Outdoors Photo Contest: Tom's Story

Work Exchanges

This summer we are asking CIEE Work & Travel USA participants to share their stories with us through a series of photo contests on Facebook. Our first theme was "The Great Outdoors." We received many incredible photos, and we had a hard time choosing the winner.

We asked Tom Bentley, a finalist, to share the story behind his photo submission.

Tom's Story

Before arriving in Virginia, I had heard about the Appalachian trail and it's infamous mountain ranges surrounding the Roanoke Valley. Growing up hiking the mountains in the Yorkshire Dales, I knew I wanted to hike some of them before I left America. 

Myself and a co worker both read up about a particular vantage point called 'MaCaffys knob' which is where this photo was taken. After a two hour rigorous hike we made it and the views were incredible. It took me a while to walk those 10 steps to the edge of the outcrop but it was worth it for the photo (and the many instagram likes!)

I've been in America for two months and can't believe how fast it has flown! I have just over a month left and whilst I'm excited to see family, I don't want this summer to end. My work colleagues and the people I've met have been so friendly and welcoming to me. I have made valuable contacts and have been offered an internship for next summer, so I must have made a lasting impression! 

Whilst university prepared me well for living on my own, coming to the USA has really taught me to be able to fend for myself properly. I arrived here very anxious not knowing anyone and not having the comfort of being a couple of hours drive from my family in England. The skills I've taken from this internship for my cv will only benefit my career prospects but the social skills I have developed whilst being here are priceless.

I fly to New York at the beginning of September to meet up with a friend from uni who is also on the CIEE program and I'm really excited to experience 'northern american' culture in the big apple!