Understanding College Entrance Requirements

High School USA

When applying to most colleges in the U.S., there are standard materials you can expect to submit. Some of these materials, such as the application, essay, transcript, and letters of recommendation will be required of all students; other materials, such as the statement of finances and language test scores, may only be required for international students.

• Application: Every college requires an application in order to apply for admission. Many colleges utilize an application called the Common Application, which allows students to fill out their personal information and send it off to multiple schools. This may save you a lot of time.
  • Essay: Most college applications include at least one essay. The essay is usually around 600 words or less and focuses on a topic of importance to you. You should write a descriptive, personal narrative that gives clear examples of the values that you will bring to the college campus. 
  • Supplemental essays: Some colleges require more than one essay. One of the most popular supplemental essay questions is, “Why us?” The goal is to determine why you think a given college is the perfect fit for you.
  • Letter(s) of recommendation: Letters of recommendation may come from school counselors, teachers, coaches, employers, or other members of your community. Letters are expected to be descriptive evaluations of your strengths and weaknesses and are to be kept confidential. This means you won’t be able to read your letters before they are submitted. 
  • Transcript: One of the most important parts of any college application is the record of classes you took and the grades you earned. This information is represented on your transcript.
  • Standardized test scores: Some schools require scores from standardized tests such as the ACT or SAT, while others do not; however, many test-optional schools require standardized test scores in order to grant scholarships. For that reason, it is always best to submit your score from at least one standardized test.
  • Statement of finances: This is a requirement for international students only. The statement of finances is a document that is certified by your bank, which shows that you have enough money to pay for at least one year of college.
  • Language test scores: This is a requirement for international students only. Common language tests include TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, and Duolingo tests.
  • Additional materials: There may be additional materials such as an interview, portfolio, or other college-specific requirement. This will depend on the institutions to which you apply.