Fridays for Freimarkt

Skyler F.

Freimarkt… probably the most significant thing in Bremen in October. Following in the Oktoberfest footsteps, Freimarkt has tents for food and drinks, rollercoasters, and amazing carnival games. And if I had to say one thing about it, if you’re near Bremen while it’s happening you should definitely go. 

My host sister and I had an amazing time the two times we went. The food and drinks are different from the typical food I am used to, although they were delicious! There were these almost pancake-like things, where it is typical to get powdered sugar or Nutella on top. I found these very delicious although they can be sweet. They also serve ice cream, which is supposed to be extremely soft. Although, I just cannot get over how people were eating ice cream when it was so cold! There are also tents that are basically full restaurants they have typical Bavarian food, music to sing and dance to, and much more!

The rollercoasters were also really enjoyable, although different from America. They seemed almost more dangerous, although still fun. They end up having a lot of sharp turns or jerky movements on the more vigorous ones, although there are many that are pretty fun and not as jerky. Although the rides may change from year to year, many of them repeat year after year. There was also a Ferris Wheel and another slowly rotating ride that goes above the city for you to view it. 

Lastly, the carnival games! I found these so fun as I had never really played carnival games. You are able to shoot airsoft guns, pick up magnetic ducks, and throw darts at balloons. I did win the first one I played. You can buy packs of tickets and if you have the correct colors, you could win a stuffed animal! My host sister and I were able to pick out a large stuffed animal that ended up being a sloth! It was an amazing thing to win that we are still both having a lot of fun with.