Your Guide to Spanish Street Abbreviations

Sydney W.

How Spanish speakers abbreviate their street names was not something I thought I’d need to know before moving to Spain. 

But there came a time when I was filling out some form or another online, and I came face to face with C. and P°. 

C. I could figure out. After all, the Spanish word for “street” is calle. But P°? ¿Qué? I looked it up and discovered it’s short for paseo, or “walk”. 

As I was researching, I thought to myself how helpful it would be if there was a short blog post out there telling you what you need to know about how to abbreviate the most common Spanish street names. And they say to write about the things that you would want to read. Hence, this post. 😊

This might be one of the more niche articles for Spain-related information, but if it helps, it was worth it. Below, find some Spanish words for street names and how to abbreviate them. 

Street Abbreviations

Av. (avenida): avenue

C. or C/ (calle): street

Cjón (callejón): alley

Cmo (camino): way

P° (paseo): walk

Pl. or Pza. (plaza): plaza

Pte. (puente): bridge

Other Helpful Words

s/n (sin número): no number

Glorieta: roundabout

Pares: even numbers

Impares: odd numbers

May it be a little easier now to navigate the streets of Spain, especially if you have to go analog. (Google Maps can get confused by all the tall buildings; more than once I've gotten on a bus headed the wrong direction because the app told me I was in the right place.)

Hasta pronto, amigos.