Some of the kids you will meet in your Thai classroom

Kyle V.

It seems that regardless of what class, grade, or subject, there are certain universal truths that exist. And these truths are the students you will meet in your classes. Having spent the last few months teaching classes spanning Prathom 1-6, I’ve become familiar with these universal truths, or types of students, with my own eyes, and I want to introduce you to a few of them. I also want to preface this by saying I love working with my students and really enjoy teaching them, despite their unruliness.

The kid who only pays attention when a video is on.

At first, this student is hard to spot. Usually, he is seated blankly staring at the board or whispering with his friends. He or she is rarely paying attention or able to answer the question being asked, but don’t let this mislead you because when the time comes he is more attentive than any of your other students. I played a video at the end of class once but was unable to finish it. I had to interrupt it and told the students I would finish it next week. When I came back to class the next week, I had totally forgotten. Luckily, The kid who only pays attention when a video is on had not. He quickly ran up to me and reminded me we hadn’t finished the video. The kid who only pays attention when a video is on may not be able to remember the answers on his test, but they will remember what video you played on week 6 of the semester.

The kids who try to sneak away to the bathroom together.

I’ve begun to just wave my hand when a student walks up to me and starts saying, “May I…” I know they are asking to go to the toilet, and most of the time I just wave them on. But I stop them when it’s a group trying to sneak out. They always come in 2’s or 3’s and ask to go to the toilet at the same time. When I tell them only one can go, the whole group exchange glances of disappointment and return to their seats in dismay. Their guilt is made known as their nefarious scheme is revealed. Do I take too much pleasure in thwarting it? Maybe. Anyway, when one comes up later, then I know they really need to go.

Photo for blog post Some of the kids you will meet in your Thai classroom

The kid who won’t do his work.

Most of the students in Thailand do their best in school, but then there is the kid who won’t do his or her work. Regardless of how many times I tell them to do it or write their name on the board, they refuse. And as if that wasn’t bad enough, they choose to punish me by running through class and talking non-stop. They see through my faux authority and spite me for fun. Maybe they aren’t that malevolent, but they are in my nightmares.

The kid who really wants to know English.

In North East Thailand, English isn’t readily accessible. So it’s often hard for the students to practice speaking, which makes it hard for them find the motivation to learn. While this may be true for many of the students, it isn’t true for the kid who really wants to know English. If you want to know who he or she is, just ask the class, and they will tell you. It is a status symbol, an identity they bear. One time I asked who wants to learn how to speak English in class, and they answered back, “Newton!” Newton, the kid in class who wants to know English. Sometimes this kid is your advocate helping you run class, other times he is your arch-enemy shouting out all the answers for a test and filling in everyone else’s work. Or worse yet, corrects you in front of the class.

The kid who is an adorable, sweet ray of sunshine.

This student gives you life. Sure, maybe you just came from a class that was more like fight club than a classroom, but now you get to see the kid who is an adorable, sweet ray of sunshine. They smile at you, listen, know your name, and treat you with respect. In one class, I have two, Lisa and O2. They are the youngest, smallest, and cutest. They draw cute little pictures for me and smile when I walk in. They help me get through the madness of my day.

The kid who tries to break you.

Most of the time these students aren’t that bad, but sometimes they are. They psychologically try to get to you. It’s all a game to them. They know you are new, foreign, and overwhelmed, and they take advantage of your weakness. For me, I experienced the fullness of this student when a male student ran up and kissed me on the cheek in front of the class. I was stunned, embarrassed, and upset. He got me. It was the perfect, most insignificant, but also shaming act a student could do to a teacher. I have to respect his brilliance, but I also resent him because I have to deal with his shenanigans. I can never tell him I respect him. I will take that secret to the grave.