How to Solve your Post-Grad Crisis

Kelsey L.

This past spring, I experienced one of the scariest things that could possibly happen to an early 20-something… I graduated college. And to make matters worse, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my degree or even my life in general. I had a BBA in Marketing and the hunt for a job was extremely bleak, especially in comparison to my peers in finance and accounting. 

When I finally got an interview, I was flown out to Virginia to take a tour of the company’s facilities and interview with current employees in person. It was for a huge company that paid well and looked great on paper, however when I pictured myself in this role something just felt off. The day after my interview (which I crushed), I begged the universe to send me a sign that it wouldn't be stupid of me to turn down a great job with a great salary just because I had a bad feeling. I figured the sign would come to me at the airport, because that's where weird stuff like that usually tends to happen, and sure enough when I was sitting in the Charlotte airport during my layover, I got an email from CIEE about teaching abroad.

I knew that I loved Spain because I had studied abroad in Barcelona the summer before (and still haven’t really gotten over it yet), but that didn’t make committing to this program any less scary. I went back and forth about it for a while, but the more I picture myself as a teacher living in Spain, the more it felt right. 

I’m still writing this article from my parents house in Illinois, so I can’t for sure tell you that I made the right decision and my life has been changed for the better. However, I can tell you that for the first time in my life, I feel like I’m on the right track. As I leave for Spain in October, at least I will know that I am following my gut and not settling for a life that won’t fulfill me. So my advice to you is to be bold and trust that the universe will take you where you need to be. I’m excited to share with you all of the lessons I’m about to learn so follow along for more stories from a dramatic and confused 23-year-old.