CIEE Korea Spotlight: Meet Marissa - PART 2

Teach In South Korea Program

CIEE Teach Abroad

Marissa is back to answer even more questions about teaching in Korea.

Why did you choose CIEE?

I chose CIEE because I heard that CIEE has a good reputation, a lot of good reviews, and in my college [CIEE] was heavily focused on. There were a lot of success stories, so it made me really trust the company before even taking that first step in applying.

Do you think the program prepared you for this experience?

Oh, definitely. I feel like it really prepared me for the unexpected. Everything from culture shock to just what you might encounter in school to what are the kids like. All those things that they talked about really helped prepare me as well. It made me a lot less nervous coming in because I knew more of what to expect.

How was CIEE’s 150-Hr TEFL Course? 

It was good, I was nervous just because [I did not have a] teaching background. Some people [in my course] majored in education in college. But I think seeing not only everyone else from different backgrounds participating, but also like the teachers would say that it doesn’t matter if you mess up. I know it sounds cliché, but it really did help in the long run.

How was your practicum?

I was lucky. I was able to do my practicum at the elementary, middle and high school level. I got all three under my belt and that was really helpful. I had pretty unique students [and] they were from different backgrounds. So, my practicum helped me to prepare for this. 

One of our most popular questions is about housing. How’s your apartment? How long is your commute?

I may not be the best person to ask since I’m flexible, but I like mine. To be honest, I’ve never lived alone so I would have been fine with anything. It is small, I’m not going to lie. It’s a [studio] apartment and it [has] a little bed and little kitchen section, but that’s enough for me.

It’s not walkable but it’s about subway stops away. It takes me from leaving my apartment door to walking in the front door of the school about 20 minutes.

How are your students? 

They’re lovely. They’re so smart, honestly. I never worked with this age group, even when I volunteered. I didn’t know what their [English] level would be. They’re just so resourceful and smart. It’s more of figuring out how to engage them. If I can make it more exciting for them, they’re more likely to stay engaged with me.

You’ve now been here for six months. Is there anything you wished you would have done differently?

They told us at orientation to go with what your co-teacher wants, which I agree with. You’re meeting them for the first time and they’re more experienced. I think just a little earlier, if something didn’t feel right to me…I wish I was more willing to input [my opinions] and finding that balance. I am their assistant teacher, and they know more than me, but I also have some knowledge to bring [to the classroom]. I think just finding that balance would have helped me a little earlier.

Were you able to make friends?

I was lucky with my co-workers, I’ve gotten to do things with them, both inside and outside of work. I met a couple of people [at orientation] that are in Seoul and a couple in Daegu. But yeah, I would say that I met them and became friends with them at orientation.

What’s next for you?

I want to attend grad school [and] take the next step in my education. 

What would you say to someone who is considering teaching in Korea?

I would say research is going to be your friend. I think taking the time to learn what you’re walking into is going to help you in the long run. I think preparing yourself ahead of time in the long run is going to make the transition a lot easier. Don’t limit yourself.

We have several CIEE Teachers leaving for Korea this month. Any advice?

If you are coming here to be a teacher, there is nothing wrong with a little bit of risk. Obviously, be smart about whatever you’re doing. But you’re going to miss out on opportunities if you are too scared to leave your apartment or you think the kids might not like a game you’re going to play. There’s no reward if there’s no risk. That should drive your philosophy in being here and your viewpoint on why you’re here, especially if you’re here short term. Stepping out of your comfort zone, doing new things, trying new things, and helping your students learn new things is going to benefit you more.