Wondering in Wanderlust (Rome Version)

Creative Writing in the Land of Gods & Heroes

Justice Amick

The creative writing group landed safe and sound on Sunday morning in Rome after a day full of lengthy flight and takeoff delays. Everyone first got to meet eachother Sunday at dinner where everyone tried their first Italian pizza. (Some explanations had to be had about why cheese pizza was called margherita pizza) It was a delicious way to start to get know eachother and students from another group in Rome.

Students trying Italian pizza for the first time!
Pizza Dinner - the first time they all met! 

After dinner we had some free time and students were allowed to wonder in their wanderlust with their program leader. We took Instagram worthy photos, tried our first round of authentic gelato and found a hidden gem in the Castel Sant’Angelo. It was too late to explore inside but the students found a quaint playground on the castle grounds and got to bond over stories of their hometowns, families and trips from before. We then went back to the hotel for some people’s first full night sleep in over 24 hours!

Student at the playground in the castle yard!
The infamous playground - true kids at heart!

On Monday we started the day with orientation at the center in downtown Rome. We got more practice with the bus system and plans have been made for each person in the group to get us to certain activities is they can practice their navigation. We then went to our first piazza where we encountered beautiful streets and monuments. Students discussed how we were walking where Romans (“like THE Roman Empire” they said) used to and how surreal that all sounded. We enjoyed pastas for lunch, took a break at the hotel and then went on a free time mini mission before dinner where we tried our second round of gelato.

Gelato (round 2!)
Gelato (round 2!)

Dinner was another kind of pasta - the true Roman classic - carbonara. Dessert was tiramisu which was a hit amongst all the students. We then meandered our way home to the hotel after a long day of exploring. Although some students are working on adjusting to jet lag, everyone is having a great time and all have made plans on what we are going to do and see with the rest of our time here. We have a tiny family unit growing - and it’s only day 2! Culture really does connect people.

Public transport is truly a gift!
Our international family - I call them my little gelatos 🍦

Some questions they’ve been pondering:

1. How many gelato flavors can one try in 3 weeks?
  2. How much pasta is too much pasta?
  3. Is the colosseum truly…colossal?

The Piazza!
    Together in Piazza