Welcome to London Town!

Creative Writing in Literary London

Chassidy Simmons
Beatrice and Josh take a picture in Shakespeare's Globe.

After months of packing and planning, our Session II Creative Writing in London students landed in London this weekend. On our first full day in the UK, we participated in icebreaker activities to get to know our new friends and an orientation to understand the expectations of the program better. Not only did we learn more about the creative writing program and our pending excursions and activities, but we also met with a local veteran of the London police force for tips on staying safe and healthy while we're here. Following the sessions on logistics and safety, we hopped on to the iconic double-decker red bus for a guided tour around the most iconic sites in London. We took tons of pictures of Big Ben and the London Bridge, and we learned about the Great Fire of London in 1666 that burned down homes, businesses, churches, and other significant structures. 

We have also met our Creative Writing teacher Dr. Rosa Rogers and had our first few days of classes. In our class, we are learning the importance of crafting descriptions in our creative writing projects. To put what we learned into practice, we went on an excursion to the British Museum with our new friends to practice describing some of its most iconic pieces including the Rosetta Stone and the Aztec Serpent. After visiting the British Museum, we visited Shakespeare's Globe which is a replica of the original Globe Theatre built in 1599. At Shakespeare's Globe, we were transported back in time as we watched the Shakespearian comedy The Taming of the Shrew performed live. We watched while standing in the yard of the theater as the actors used the yard and us as a crowd to bring the original Shakespeare play to life. 

We are excited to see what London has in store for us next! Cheers, everyone!

Zora, Sesina, Kris, Katelyn, and Julia pose in front of the stage at Shakespeare's Globe