A Weekend in Florence!

Italian Language & Culture

Sara Abbadessa

Last weekend, the group of Creative Writing in the Land of Gods and Heroes in Rome embarked on an unforgettable journey to Florence, Italy. Their two-day adventure was a perfect blend of structured learning and spontaneous exploration, offering a deep dive into the city's rich cultural and historical tapestry.

The trip kicked off on Friday with a visit to the Uffizi Gallery, one of the most famous art museums in the world. The students were awestruck by the gallery's extensive collection of Renaissance masterpieces.

Saturday's itinerary included a visit to the Galileo Museum, dedicated to the life and work of the renowned scientist Galileo Galilei. The students explored exhibits featuring Galileo's groundbreaking inventions and experiments, as well as other significant scientific instruments from the Renaissance period. Interactive displays and detailed explanations made the museum experience both engaging and educational. The students were particularly fascinated by Galileo's telescopes and the profound impact his discoveries had on our understanding of the universe.

In addition to these structured visits, the students had plenty of free time to explore Florence at their own pace. The city's picturesque streets, charming cafes, and vibrant atmosphere provided the perfect backdrop for their adventures. Many students took the opportunity to wander through the bustling markets of San Lorenzo, sampling local delicacies and picking up unique souvenirs. Evenings were spent dining at traditional Italian trattorias, where they enjoyed delicious pasta dishes, and of course, gelato.

This weekend trip was more than just a sightseeing tour; it was an enriching experience that broadened the students' horizons and deepened their appreciation for art, science, and Italian culture. The combination of guided museum visits and free time to explore allowed them to fully immerse themselves in the spirit of Florence. Florence had left an indelible mark on their hearts, a testament to the enduring allure of this magnificent city.

Duomo of Florence