Taipei 101

Diplomacy & Peace Studies

Miao Juan Lao

As we wrap up our chapter in South Korea, our global navigators head to Taiwan to delve deeper into the diplomatic relations between the two countries. After their experience in South Korea, many students were eager to learn about Taiwanese culture. Some of the students in this program have Taiwanese roots so they're excited to learn more about their origin.

Upon arrival to Taipei, Taiwan, we were greeted by friendly local staff who assisted us in getting settled into our hotel and showed us around the Ximending neighborhood. Ximending is a popular shopping district in Taipei, bustling with various shops and restaurants. I would say it's quite similar to the Myeongdong distrcit in Seoul, South Korea.

ximending

It's definitely a neighborhood that comes alive at night. 

taipei

We had a brief orientation before splitting into groups for dinner around the area. Some had boba tea with Taiwanese fried chicken while others tried the traditional beef noodle soup here in Taipei! It seems like everyone enjoyed their first meal in Taiwan.

beef

Day 11

Our first official day in Taipei, Taiwan began with a delicious hotel breakfast and orientation/class with the Taiwanese staff. Students had the opportunity to try traditional Taiwanese snacks while attending their first official class. They also participated in a Chinese 101 session, where they learned some basic phrases in Chinese. After class, students had free time for lunch before coming together for a walking tour around Taipei. Our walking tour began with the Beimen post office, the Taiwan Provincial City God Temple, 228 Peace Memorial Park, National Taiwan Museum, and concluded at Taipei 101. Taipei 101 is the tallest building in Taiwan and was one of the tallest buildings in the world between 2004 to 2007. I think for many, it was one of the highlights from the tour. Students also took the Taipei metro for the first time!

tour

temple

tour
museum

subway

While Taiwan has graced us with sunshine instead of rain, we're all still adjusting to the higher temperature and humidity in Taiwan. It feels like we're in a sauna each time we're outside. I'm sure we all have a newfound appreciation for AC. The heat is definitely different from the U.S. Following the tour, we had a group dinner with the Taiwanese center staff and enjoyed an assortment of Taiwanese stir-fried dishes. Some were a hit-and-miss but there was a wide variety of selections. Students were able to interact more with the local staff while trying traditional Taiwanese cuisine.

din

Day 12

Our walking tour is not over! After our breakfast buffet, we embarked on another walking tour at the Yangmingshan American military housing. It is a historical site that preserved over 100 structures from its American presence in Taiwan. Some of these buildings are used as accommodations for working holidays while some are rented out for classrooms, films, etc. Fun fact, the famous cellist Yo-yo Ma actually used to live in one of these buildings and so did his father, who was a professor. What a better way to learn about U.S. and Taiwan relations than here! The heat and hills were definitely a struggle for many of the students though. The tour staff members were very attentive and accommodating to support our students by being mindful to offer constant breaks.

tpu

yg

Some of the historical properties in the area operate as a restaurant/cafe as well. Even Starbucks exist there! Our tour guide took us to an establishment called Brick yard 33 1/3, which serves as an American style restaurant and venue. The restaurant and event space exuded a unique style. It was interesting to learn that our tour guide had their wedding there. Throughout the tour, our guide's passion was evident, but it was particularly noticeable at this location. The venue featured a lovely pool indoors and a charming rooftop area. 

b

We savored winter melon tea at a traditional building where people on working holidays reside. Shortly after, we indulged in various Taiwanese cuisine at one of the local restaurants in the area. As all the food was made fresh, it took some time for it to come out but the work they put in the food definitely shows through the presentation and taste!

lunch

After lunch, students attended class at another traditional building that serves as a venue/rental for presentations, classes, films, etc. 

class
class

The host generously offered us tea, coffee, and homemade Taiwanese snacks! The students did a great job tackling on the full day we had in Taipei. After class, we had a group dinner at a Michelin-recommended restaurant in Dongmen. We enjoyed soup dumplings, pork dumplings, shrimp dumplings, and assorted pastries! The soup dumplings were a group favorite, which was no surprise!(:

din
dindin

After dinner, the staff suggested a shaved ice spot, where some of us went while others opted for gelato nearby. The cold dessert was a great way to end the day.

ice
ice

After a satisfying meal and a long day, the students returned to their hotel to prepare for our overnight trip to Kinmen, a small island governed by Taiwan.