To new beginnings and endeavors

Diplomacy & Peace Studies

Miao Juan Lao

The typhoon has passed, the rain remains. I think our students resonate with this feeling; so much has happened, and we're still processing it. Our time in Taiwan has been a series of adventures. It's been a short yet long journey.

For the past few days, students had to remain inside the hotel due to Typhoon Gaemi. While other regions in the area were affected, we were lucky to just receive light showers in the area. However, due to the unforeseen circumstances, our activities were placed on halt for 2 days. The Taiwan staff got creative and restructured the itinerary to incorporate cultural activities and educational experiences for students. We switched to virtual classrooms and students completed their final presentation at the hotel. 

presentation

Ivy, from Ivy's Kitchen, came to have a mini-cooking class with the students! Students made aiyu jelly which we later sweetened with lemonade and winter melon sweetener. It was delicious and refreshing. She also taught students how to make a Taiwanese-style spring roll called Run Bing(潤餅), but Tainan style because Ivy is from Tainan. Students had fun as they competed to see who could roll the best spring roll! I'll let them tell you how that went.

aiyu
aiyu

Our last day in Taipei was a free day for all students. Many got to sleep in, enjoy brunch, hike, shop, etc. We all came together for our final farewell dinner with the Taiwan staff. We had individual hot pots, upon student request!(: 

din
dindin
hotpot

We took some students to the Shilin night market because you can't pass Taiwan without going to the night markets! It's one of the highlights of Taiwanese culture. There are an array of street foods, arcades, and shopping. Here are the students enjoying the arcade portion. It's a hit or miss! You lose some, you gain some.

shilin
night market

The students had the chance to immerse themselves in both Korean and Taiwanese cultures. They appreciated various elements of both nations and gained insights into the relationships, cultures, and histories. They formed new friendships, engaged with diverse cultures, honed their critical thinking skills, and enhanced their cultural awareness. Additionally, they engaged in building resiliency and independence as they navigate the various public transportation systems and different cultural norms. They are well on their way to becoming global navigators or even diplomats! I'm proud of what the group has endured and what they've accomplished. 

We are flying back home today. Students said their goodbyes to the staff and each other yesterday. Goodbyes are always a little bittersweet. It almost doesn't feel real until we get on the plane flying back to our homes. I'm not sad that we're all leaving because as long as we're all here, we'll cross paths again.(:

Until next time!