SEAzing the Day and Catching Waves

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Brittany Sumner

"Even if you never have the chance to see or touch the ocean, the ocean touches you with every breath you take, every drop of water you drink, every bite you consume."

Catching Waves

Surfing is a huge part of Portugal's culture. There is this place called Nazare where people from all over the world come to catch the best wave of their life. So, what better way to start off our week than learning how to surf? We had local instructors who were very insistent that we didn't give up until we caught that perfect wave. I am beyond proud of everyone for giving 100 percent. There I was, barely able to even sit on my board, much less stand, and they were all standing up riding waves in!

Learning about the basics of surfing!
Practicing "step one" of standing up on the surf board

I'm not going to lie, I was very nervous walking down to the edge of the water and so were some of the students. I am not very good at sports on land, so how could I be good at a sport in the water? It turned out I was worried for nothing. As Xitlali would say, “surfing makes you feel free!”. Riding a wave to shore feels like a mix between flying and skiing. I've never seen such pure joy as I did on the students face as they caught their first wave. Do you like to feel invincible? Well, go surfing, it'll make you feel that way every time you stand up on a surf board!

Xitlali catching a gnarly wave. She is a natural born surfer!
If you can't tell, they had a lot of fun! (Rachel riding a wave in)

When we weren't surfing you could find us sun bathing, laughing, playing “futbol”, creating art or exploring for seashells.

Fletcher, Mason, Henry, and Ahmad playing a friendly game of futbol! 
Kenna and Grace with a sea star we found on the beach that was dragged up from commercial fishing

​Concerns for our Marine Ecosystems

We've been having a lot of really amazing discussions on marine conservation and the impacts humans have on the environment. The students and us leaders are excited to learn more about the local ecosystems and how we can help preserve them.  Before surfing we went to a nature center that was full of art made from marine debris. It was a really beautiful and unique way to get people interesting in helping keep our oceans clean. Below are some quotes from some of the students about why they are interested in marine conservation!

Raiya checking out the marine debris art

“I volunteer at a local marine lab and aquarium and it has made me want to learn more about the ocean!” -Fletcher

“I am interested in social issues going on in the natural world, but have been wanted to take a step away from politics and learn more about natural resources.” - Ariana

“I am interested in the sustainability aspect of Portugal's culture” - Kate