Science is the S in Stem

Women for Environmental Action

Anne Offutt

These last two days have we have been diving deep into SCIENCE:

• S - S is is for Samples.

Tuesday, the students walked to the nearby Alondra river to take water samples. They explored the biodiversity of the tropical rivers. They talked about water pollution and tested air temperature and water quality. 

• C - C is for Cosmetics.

On Monday we hiked a mile to the Monteverde Natural Cosmetics company. This is a woman owned business started by Doña Margarita about 15 years ago. Her family helps with other aspects of the company. They got a tour of the lab and got to help Margarita stir in different ingredients, stir in oils, pour the products into molds and cut the block into soap bars. Most of us splurged on great-priced, amazing smelling soaps, hair and body products.  Expect some great gifts!

• I - I is for Invertebrates. ​

While at the river they also skimmed and collected macro-invertebrates and insects found in or on the river. They returned to the lab and used the equipment to look at them under the microscope and collect and compare data. 

• E - E is for Empanadas.

Tuesday afternoon was an empanada cooking class. They also made guacamole. It was a nice afternoon activity with a snack!

• N - N is for Nature.

The students created and buried rice traps in a variety of the soil types on campus: the field of bananas, the coffee plants, the forest and the flat grassy areas.  They will dig them up later on the week and examine them for different types of bacteria (if the local varmints don't find and eat them first).

• C - C is for Camera traps.

Monday afternoon the girls gathered their forest cameras that they set up last week. They will be looking at those later in the week. 

• E - E is for Español class.

The students attended their 4th Spanish class on Tuesday. And E also stands for Environment. The past few afternoons and evenings have included fleeting downpours. The staff told us that that the rainy season has now begun and we came expect frequent rain. We have had a few days of incredible weather over the last week. Now, we get to use all the rain gear we brought.