Manuel Antonio and up to Santa Rosa

Maxine Eisenberg

We spent two days in Manuel Antoniowhich is Costa Rica's most visited National Park. We were able to see the park with tour guides and get a good look at several species of monkeys, insects, and birds. We even saw some snakes and sloths! After the visit we discussed the human impacts on a park that is so popular and frequently visited. We began learning about other human impacts on biodiversity such as litter and plastics in the ocean. We spent time on the beach in Manuel Antonio collecting plastics and other litter waste. We were amazed by how much we found and were able to gather in such a short period of time. Students enjoyed taking a local bus and the gorgeous views from Manuel Antonio.

After leaving Manuel Antonio we headed north and stopped for a hike at Carara National Park where students hiked in pairs and looked for frogs and other cool animals. We continued on to Santa Rosa National Park in the Guanacaste region. We have been settled in here for several days. We have explored several areas of this incredible dry forest. We spent an afternoon on the beach at the gorgeous and calm Junquillal Bay where we could swim and play games. We also got a chance to hike to Chorreras waterfall and swim right under it.

We are excited to go to Monteverde tomorrow but sad to leave Santa Rosa.