Let The Final Week Begin – Pétanque!

Nathalie Vincent

Begining of week 4! If I had to guess you are thinking of what you should do on this beautiful, bright, and warm summer day while you await your child’s return. Well, take the hint from these joyful faces posted below enjoying a French classic game. They’d want you to try this exiting game that can be for the whole family, group of friends, or 2 competitors to enjoy. 

​​       

Photo for blog post Let The Final Week Begin – Pétanque!

Try the French game of Pétanque!  Created in the 19th century, this one is an oldie but a goody! The game of boules, otherwise known as pétanque, is perhaps the sport that is closest to French hearts. It is similar to Italian bocce; the French version is traditionally played with metallic balls on a dirt surface beneath plane trees.

The rules are simple: In Pétanque the objective is to score points by having boules closer to the target (called "le cochonnet") than the opponent after all boules have been thrown is the winner. You can also hit the opponents' balls away from the target, while standing inside a circle with both feet on the ground.

That was too simple! This how the students played the game. First, we gathered as a big group and a student volunteered to practice what they had learned today in Ozlefrançais (oral conversational practice after lunch) which was a discussion on pétanque. The student explained the rules of the game in French while two other students visually demonstrated the steps. Then, they broke into smaller groups to play. The students were enjoying the game so much, that they decided to create a tournament. The rules and operation of the tournament became tricky because they just came up with the idea. Once they came into an agreement of how the tournament should commence, many students joined. The afternoon was spent with high stake competitions for the students that came to an understanding and appreciation of the French’s favorite pastime while others sat and cheered on the teams.

C’est a vous d'essayer! Allez Allez!!