From Learning to Adventure: How Barcelona’s Olympic Legacy Inspires Our Students

Sports Management

Amelia Hough

When a city hosts an Olympic Games, there are many structures that have to be improved or constructed for the different events. After the excitement of the Games is over and the city goes back to normal, a decision has to be made regarding what to do with those structures. This past week, our students were able to learn how Barcelona has utilized their structures from the 1992 Olympic Games. They toured the Olympic complex as part of their sports management class, where they gained insights into how these structures are currently being used by the Barcelona Football Club and as major concert venues.

On Saturday, students experienced firsthand how the Olympic Canal, constructed over 30 years ago, is being used today. The canal now hosts various water activities, including canoeing, paddle boarding, and giant water inflatables.

The day began with a bit of rain as the students put their canoeing skills to the test. Once the skies cleared, they ventured out on giant paddle boards, engaging in swimming and playful ship takeovers. The highlight of the day was the giant inflatables, where students tackled the obstacle course, which resulted in several fun wipeouts. Students also competed as duos, striving to be the last ones standing on the inflatable course.

Saturday's adventure allowed students to combine some of the lessons from their sports management class with a day full of fun and engaging activities.