Learning About Sustainability

Women for Environmental Action

Katherine Lawson

The first topics we have dived into here in Monteverde is sustainability, sustainable development, and how renewable sources of energy can help us achieve sustainable development. For our first co-curricular activity the students formed small groups to assemble renewable energy models while also researching the pros and cons of each renewable source of energy. This lead to a discussion on how each of them might be more suitable for different places or situations. 

Photo for blog post Learning About Sustainability

Today, the Women In STEM program took a trip to a local farm, Parcela Lobo. While there the students learned about sustainable farming and how they produce and manage their crops. This included meeting some baby goats and extracting sugar cane for juice which they got to sample. 

The students learned how the family manages a sustainable farm, how they deal with pests and insects, the history of the farm, and the role of women on this family farm. They also got to taste the coffee grown on the farm and had the opprotunity to buy some local products. 

Today was truly a great opportunity to see what they are learning in class put in to action.