La Città e la Villa

Connecting Italian Art, History & Culture

Giulia Mariani

A walk through the past 

The past and the present, the ruins and the city: this is what your kids had the chance to see this week, during their walking tour with their brilliant professors, marveling at wonderful sights like the Chiesa del Gesu or the Pantheon. Divided in their classroom's groups, they used their newly learned skills to identify the architectures and styles of the different monuments, and had the chance to take amazing pictures! The professors also kept them active and listening by asking stimulating questions and had them reflect on the meaning behind everything they saw. 

But that's not all! After grabbing a quick lunch at the CIEE center, where they cooled down with some much needed AC, they had the opportunity to see the wonderful city of Rome from above, by taking the elevator on the side of the famous white monument in Piazza Venezia: il Vittoriano. From the terrace, they had a beautiful view of the ancient city, and observed its structure but also its uniqueness. After that, they had a well deserved free time, and were free to roam around the city to explore and practice what they learned in their functional italian class! Some were eager to shop, some to rest, other to enjoy the many churches of Rome, nevertheless, our night was brought to an end after eating a series of delicious pizzas at Origano. 

Tivoli-ing around 

Welcome to Tivoli! After just a forty-five minute drive from Rome, say goodbye to the city and get ready to immerse youself in the beautiful, sunny countryside, where a small but important town, Tivoli, is located. On Saturday, the kids had the chance to visit one of the most important Reinessance villas in the whole of Italy: Villa d'Este, a wonderful villa with big and beautiful gardens, commissioned by Ippolito d'Este to the architect Pirro Ligorio in 1560. Accompanied by their professors, the kids took a guided tour around the villa, and noticed detailed wall paintings, mosaic-filled floors, and sculpured fountains, while reflecting on the iconography and meaning behind every work of art. It was a hot day, but the shade and the everflowing water from the many fountains around the gardens kept the air breezy and enjoyable for everyone. Also, at 12:30, we were lucky to listen to the amazing Fontana dell'Organo: an fountain that is able to play an organ by regulating its water pressure! 

After the wonderful experience, we all had a chance to relax and enjoy some pasta in one of Tivoli's restaurants, then everyone went to explore the little town: some got gelato, some went shopping for souvenirs, others relaxed at the local cafè. A couple of hours later, we got ready to head back to our bus and once in Rome, we enjoyed a good dinner at one of Italy's most famous restaurants: RossoPomodoro. 

After long but amazing week, we are ready to cool down and end our first week with reflections and thoughts on what we experienced, and set our expectations for whats to come. 

Onto the next adventure! Ciao!