An Introduction to the Government of Estonia

Diplomacy & Peace Studies

Ashley Bussiere

What an unforgettable first few days in Tallinn, Estonia!

Our Diplomacy and Peace Studies program truly hit the ground running and our first three days after arrival where all about Estonian politics. Students had the unique opportunity to tour the Riigikogu (Parliament), the Presidential Palace, and the Stenbock House which houses the Prime Minister's office and the Government Office. During these visits, students learned more about how the Estonian government operates today and about its historical past. Students had the chance to meet and sit down with Karmen Joller, a member of the Estonian Parliament, where they were able to ask questions to gain a deeper understanding of the political system. These visits gave student a well-round view of the different facets of the country’s political systems from those who work inside these prestigious building. 

Q&A with Karmen Joller
Q&A with Karmen Joller
Office of the President of the Republic of Estonia
Discussions in the Office of the President

While visiting the Riigikogu, our students were also fortunate to be able to grab a quick picture with the Minister of Climate of the Republic of Estonia, Kristen Michal, who also happens to be the next Prime Minister! Talk about an incredible moment. 

Picture with Kristen Michal
Our Picture with Kristen Michal

After our visits students took the time to reflect on what they learned by making connections between their newly acquired knowledge and their previous life experiences. Please check out a few of their takeaways.  

“Something I enjoyed on this trip was going to the Estonian Presidential Palace. Our tour guide was very articulate and informative, which really helped connect how the history of Estonia connects to its political views and culture, going even further to the relationships people have with each other on a personal level. I enjoyed how the Presidential Palace was quite humble, with much preservation regarding what many others would see as “obsolete” stylistic choices, simply for the importance and symbolism of such items. All items that may seem expensive were gifted to Estonia, and had immense symbolic significance, towards Estonia’s liberation, independence, and livelihood. Such ideas are not commonly seen in wealthier, progressive nations, which seem to seek newer, sleek, designs; especially in areas like New York City or other urban areas. These qualities showcase Estonia’s values on its liberation, achievements, and knowledge over its own humble origins, seeking to progress further without stripping away their original heritage.” -Ava 

“Something I enjoyed doing in Tallinn this week was visiting the Riigikogu, the government building that houses Tallinn’s Parliament. Learning about Estonian independence, the history of the Riigikogu building, and the daily life of Estonian Parliament members was especially enlightening. Our guide, Mrs. Karmen Joller, amazed me with the depth of her knowledge on both the Estonian government’s rich history and the present-day workings of the Riigikogu, including their response to recent events like the COVID pandemic and Russian aggression in Ukraine. As Estonia is in general very united in their policy towards Russia’s recent actions, they were able to welcome 40,000 Ukrainian refugees and take further steps like increasing their defense budget to combat this threat. I was also surprised to learn that in Estonia, there are multiple political parties in Parliament, and the president is usually very nonpartisan. As such, the Estonian president’s role in the government and the nation differs significantly from the POTUS. Overall, learning about the government here was a fascinating experience that provided a new perspective on global politics and some pertinent issues we face today.” -Janet

“Seeing the Estonian government work so hard to be a civilized and respectful nation has inspired a level of hope for the future of America as a whole. It proves there are people out there who will do the right thing in power.” -Debra 

"The last few days were... unexpected. We came into this program with high hopes and expectations but just the past three days blew them out of the water. Throughout our multiple high-level visits, we were captivated by the Estonian government’s openness both to their own people, but also foreigners like us. For example, in the government buildings we were able to walk in the footsteps of important political figures and truly experience the inner workings of Estonian government. We were fascinated by how open (and excited) the government officials were to educate us on how Estonia was run. The reachable nature of the Estonian government and its tight connection with its citizens was beautifully illustrated to us throughout the last three days." - Alex and Judson

Thanks for reading and make sure to check back in to see more about what these future leaders are up to! 

Our Future Leaders